PDA

View Full Version : The official ARod is a dirty Rat thread.

Joe Tall
10-19-2004, 11:23 PM
Now Pedro has been down in the dirt but that was obnoxious.

Props to Joe West for getting his crew together again and making the right call.

GO SOX!
-JT

Dynasty
10-19-2004, 11:26 PM
You're overreacting. ARod's just playing aggressive contact basebal and got called on it.

It reminds me of Reggie Jackson butt-bumping a throw from second base to break-up a double play.

Joe Tall
10-19-2004, 11:28 PM
ARod's just playing aggressive contact basebal and got called on it.

He tried to chop the ball out like a linebacker trying to get a fumble. I have never seen anyone do that and thank god Joe West called it correctly so ARod can cost his team instead of trying to benefit from dirty play.

GO SOX!
-JT

nolanfan34
10-19-2004, 11:28 PM
I agree. Hard nosed baseball is one thing, but making a clear swipe at the ball when it's possible you're going to cost your team an out is stupid.

Justin A
10-19-2004, 11:29 PM
Clearly a dirty rat move. Nice job by the umpires.

Justin A

JinX11
10-19-2004, 11:30 PM
Today, I am 100% happy ARod is not playing for us.

ThaSaltCracka
10-19-2004, 11:31 PM
me too, and Joe is overreacting. I actually think the whole thing is pretty funny.

augie00
10-19-2004, 11:32 PM
I was just going to start this thread! A-rod is a dirty dog!

Joe Tall
10-19-2004, 11:38 PM
I actually think the whole thing is pretty funny

You should be pissed that a bonehead play cost 'the team you root for at the moment' an opportunity. But, what goes on in your fcking head, who knows.

WC64
10-19-2004, 11:42 PM
But honestly I was just running lol

GO SOX

ThaSaltCracka
10-19-2004, 11:45 PM
dude, he was going to be out anyways, and at worst Jeter ends up on second. SO [censored] what, Sheff popped out, so lighten up laugh at how stupid arod and then finally shut the [censored] up.

NotMitch
10-19-2004, 11:45 PM
They play was bad, but the fact that he tried to argue after the fact that he did nothing was awful.

Michael Davis
10-19-2004, 11:50 PM
No way was that aggressive contact baseball. A hand chop is something totally different, and it is dangerous. Robert Fick did this to Eric Karros a couple years ago and everyone went nuts.

-Michael

bugstud
10-19-2004, 11:52 PM
last year, actually

The Dude
10-20-2004, 12:12 AM
A-Rod is a jackass. Kudos to Joe West's crew for making the right call.

ThaSaltCracka
10-20-2004, 12:13 AM
WE CAN AGREE ON SOMETHING

Joe Tall
10-20-2004, 12:16 AM

No you can't. You think it's funny when it's a serious, dirty play.

ThaSaltCracka
10-20-2004, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

No you can't. You think it's funny when it's a serious, dirty play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its funny because its so stupid and dirty. Can you ever laugh at things? I mean seriously, laugh at how much of a tool AROD is. If you still have your panties in a bunch over this, than I am sure you aren't a very fun person to hang out with.

Neil Stevens
10-20-2004, 12:19 AM
So a hit on the arm is worse than throwing at a guy's head? Come on.

andyfox
10-20-2004, 12:24 AM
Funny thing is if he just runs straight ahead, he has a chance to knock the ball out with his body. As soon as I saw the play, I said to my son, "that's an illegal play." The umpires clearly got it right.

As the announcers pointed out, it's only in the last few years that the umpires consult. It's possible that a few years ago the play stands. The first base umpire was shielded from the play by the first baseman. I imagine that, since he couldn't see what happened, he possibly would have asked for help even then. This was not a case of a judgment call, rather a case of him not being able to see it. The Cardinals lost a World Series (1985?) to the Royals on a blown call at first base, but that was a safe/out call that the umpire just blew.

Great job by Arroyo on A-Rod and Sheffield after he hung the slider to Jeter.

Another great game in which the Yankees are doing just enough things wrong to fall short. Alternatively, one should also say that the Sox are doing enough things right to win.

goofball
10-20-2004, 12:25 AM
yes.

one is part of the game. the other is not.

Joe Tall
10-20-2004, 12:26 AM
May I repeat myself...

So a hit on the arm is worse than throwing at a guy's head?

Get a clue about baseball.

andyfox
10-20-2004, 12:30 AM
When I saw the play, I said "that's an illegal play." But then I wasn't sure if that's the rule. And I was thinking, well why shouldn't a runner be allowed to knock the ball out of the glove, when sliding one often sees the runner try to knock the ball out of the glove.

But if you allowed it, you'd have players tackling the fielders, especially the first basemen. Of course it should be interference.

But I'm with Dynasty on the play. A-Rod was trying to get to first base. He swiped with an open hand at the glove.

On the Reggie Jackson play he mentioned, Reggie was on first base and was forced out at second. But he was nowhere near the bag as the ball was hit hard. The throw from second came right at him and he just stood there and the ball hit him in the hip. Watching it live, it looked like he just happened to be in the way. In slo mo on the replay, he actually sticks his hip out at the ball slightly.

Steve Garvey, boy genius, then stood there and pointed at Jackson, accusing him of not playing nice. Meanwhile, the ball rolls down the right field line while the other runners circle the bases. New rule: get the ball first, argue later.

Neil Stevens
10-20-2004, 12:31 AM
Had Rodriguez not veered right, wouldn't he be out for not attempting to get out of the way?

If you're going to call him out by 7.09(l) here, it seems that he would be out either way, because either the fielder was entitled to be there or he wasn't.

[ QUOTE ]
It is interference by a batter or a runner when he fails to avoid a fielder who is attempting to field a batted ball, or intentionally interferes with a thrown ball, provided that if two or more fielders attempt to field a batted ball, and the runner comes in contact with one or more of them, the umpire shall determine which fielder is entitled to the benefit of this rule, and shall not declare the runner out for coming in contact with a fielder other than the one the umpire determines to be entitled to field such a ball; When a catcher and batter runner going to first base have contact when the catcher is fielding the ball, there is generally no violation and nothing should be called. "Obstruction" by a fielder attempting to field a ball should be called only in very flagrant and violent cases because the rules give him the right of way, but of course such "right of way" is not a license to, for example, intentionally trip a runner even though fielding the ball. If the catcher is fielding the ball and the first baseman or pitcher obstructs a runner going to first base "obstruction" shall be called and the base runner awarded first base.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neil Stevens
10-20-2004, 12:32 AM
You have no argument whatsoever but your Red Sox fanhood, do you?

ThaSaltCracka
10-20-2004, 12:34 AM
there is a huge difference. If he had simply ran into arroyo and the ball popped out, its not interference because the contact was unitentional. Instead AROD actually tried to cause contact and that is illegal.

tripdad
10-20-2004, 12:35 AM
there really wasn't a whole lot to lose by taking a stab at knocking the ball away. he damn near got away with it, nearly giving his team a great shot at winning this game.

A-Rod is a smart player, and he made a smart play IMO. dirty? debateable, but he certainly wasn't trying to hurt anyone.

cheers!

Joe Tall
10-20-2004, 12:35 AM
May I repeat myself, again...

You have no argument whatsoever but your Red Sox fanhood, do you?

Get a clue about baseball.

andyfox
10-20-2004, 12:36 AM
The fielder was not attempting to field the ball. He was attempting to tag A-Rod while A-Rod was in the base path. A runner is under no obligation to get out of the way of a fielder attempting to tag him. In fact, if he veers out of the way attempting to avoid either a tag or collision, he is in danger of being called out for being out of the basepath.

In retrospect, as Arroyo had just transferred the ball from his throwing hand to his glove, A-Rod possibly could have dislodged the ball just by running straght without trying to knock it out of his glove.

The bigger thing is that, representing the tying run, and after Cairo and Jeter hit the ball well, A-Rod hit the ball twelve feet off the end of the bat and Sheffield couldn't hit it as far. Arroyo did great.

Joe Tall
10-20-2004, 12:36 AM
debateable, but he certainly wasn't trying to hurt anyone.

Next time I'm out in Indy, I'll run full speed at you and chop you on the forearm when you stick it out. You know, because it's not going to hurt.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Joe Tall
10-20-2004, 12:38 AM
If he had simply ran into arroyo and the ball popped out, its not interference because the contact was unitentional. Instead AROD actually tried to cause contact and that is illegal.

You do have a brain, well done.

Peace and GO SOX!
-Joe Tall

Neil Stevens
10-20-2004, 12:40 AM
If being "intentional" is the key, then I think the huddle and overruling was wrong. You're not supposed to be second-guessing judgment calls.

I really don't think it looked malicious. I think it was a reflex to climb out of the way of the guy.

ThaSaltCracka
10-20-2004, 12:50 AM
yeah precisely, I am not sure what he did was technically illegal, but i think the umps made the right call.

ThaSaltCracka
10-20-2004, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If he had simply ran into arroyo and the ball popped out, its not interference because the contact was unitentional. Instead AROD actually tried to cause contact and that is illegal.

You do have a brain, well done.

Peace and GO SOX!
-Joe Tall

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe,
I could honestly care less what the hell you think about me, in fact your replies amuse me because you think I actually care.

CHEERS!
TSC

Zeno
10-20-2004, 01:02 AM
The play was clearly illegal. I am not 'upset' or mad that A-rod tried to do what he did - as silly as it was to do in so important a game - but on something else. His act after the play happened; that was trashy. He couldn't even smirk and shrug the whole thing off. He got caught trying to steal a cookie in front of millions of people and then acts like he was nowhere near the jar. What an ass.

-Zeno

nolanfan34
10-20-2004, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If being "intentional" is the key, then I think the huddle and overruling was wrong. You're not supposed to be second-guessing judgment calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

THEY'RE THE UMPIRES - THEY ARE THERE TO GET THE CALL RIGHT. If it took a huddle to do so, then so be it.

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't think it looked malicious. I think it was a reflex to climb out of the way of the guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree partially with this, I think he took a swipe at it instinctively, although that was really stupid.

This series just gets better and better.

andyfox
10-20-2004, 01:26 AM
There as no chop on the forearm. There was a slap at the glove. That's what he hit. The glove came off of Arroy's hand. It wasn't a dirty play, it was an illegal play.

Even worse, IMO, was the reaction of the fans who threw balls and other things on the field. What jerks.

Don Denkinger
10-20-2004, 01:57 AM
I think they missed the tag anyways. He was clearly safe. Bad decision to overrule the first base ump who was closer to the play than anyone.

andyfox
10-20-2004, 02:09 AM
Don Denkinger.

Very good. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ed Miller
10-20-2004, 03:23 AM
He took a shot and got punished for it. Not only was he called out, but they brought Jeter back to first when he would have been on second if ARod had just been tagged out.

I don't really blame him for taking a shot, and he suffered the consequences. Whining is permitted, but not encouraged. I think it's all good.

NLSoldier
10-20-2004, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He took a shot and got punished for it. Not only was he called out, but they brought Jeter back to first when he would have been on second if ARod had just been tagged out.

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words: He tried to bluff at the river with a hopeless hand and got called. So instead of losing just the pot, he lost an extra bet as well. Considering the size of the pot, it's hard to blame him for his bluff attempt. However, if he had a read that his opponent was a total call machine.....ahh i guess we don't need to get into that /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GuyOnTilt
10-20-2004, 03:54 AM
You guys are way overreacting about this. Arod was playing hard and trying to do everything he could to put his team in a position to win. I just made a post in the SFTU thread that I wish I had posted here. How many of you guys accusing him of being a "dirty player" have played varsity ball at a High School level or above? Making phantom tags, intentinally running your spikes down a first baseman's shin, sliding hard into a middle infielder to break up a double play, etc. are all part of the game. The easiest way to get out of a pickle is to bump into a fielder who doesn't have the ball. There were several times when I caught my shoulder on an opposing fielder's or diverted my path slightly to catch my legs on theirs when I very easily could've ran past them without contacct. Does this make me a dirty player or a cheater? No. Does it make me a dirty player or a cheater if an umpire calls me on it and I argue? No. If I don't slide into the bag at second during a double play and instead slide late and hard spikes up five feet to the right of the base in an attempt to break up the play (which is against the rules), am I a dirty player because that's against the rules? No. That's how you play the game. The kid was playing hard. I give him props for his effort. I also agree with the officiating crew's decision as long as their reasons were either that the First Base Umpire's view was obstructed or he wasn't aware of the specifics of the batter/runner interference rules.

GoT

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-20-2004, 06:03 AM
Joe, I have to disagree. A-Rod did what he did in the heat of the moment trying to win. He was wrong and the umps got it right. No more, no less. Just a guy playing hard who went a bit over the line.

In reality, a lot of the action at 2nd in the middle of a double play attempt, like hard take-out slides and drop-down throws, are legal but can result in worse injuries.

Bad decision, yes. Dirty play, not even close.

Cyrus
10-20-2004, 08:48 AM
"You guys are way overreacting about this. Arod was playing hard and trying to do everything he could to put his team in a position to win."

Excuse me. Is this a no limit thread ?

<font color="white"> . </font>

NotMitch
10-20-2004, 09:19 AM
"I don't want those guys to meet anymore," Alex Rodriguez said after he was called for runner interference for his bush league play when he knocked the ball out of Bronson Arroyo's hand. "Every time they meet, it goes against the Yankees. I told John Hirschbeck: No more meetings."

Yes they should stop trying to make sure the calls are right. Moron

Joe Tall
10-20-2004, 02:25 PM
How many of you guys accusing him of being a "dirty player" have played varsity ball at a High School level or above?

One here.

Making phantom tags, intentinally running your spikes down a first baseman's shin, sliding hard into a middle infielder to break up a double play, etc. are all part of the game

I do not see "forearm-chop to get the ball loose", why?

Peace Bright, GO SOX!
-Joe Tall

wayabvpar
10-20-2004, 02:43 PM
My biggest problem was that A-Rod's slap looked like a 5 year old girl shooing away a mosquito. God he is a b****h. I have never been happier that he is no longer a Mariner.

ThaSaltCracka
10-20-2004, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My biggest problem was that A-Rod's slap looked like a 5 year old girl shooing away a mosquito. God he is a b****h. I have never been happier that he is no longer a Mariner .

[/ QUOTE ]
Can I form that club with you?

tripdad
10-20-2004, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Next time I'm out in Indy, I'll run full speed at you and chop you on the forearm when you stick it out. You know, because it's not going to hurt.

Peace,
Joe Tall

[/ QUOTE ]

i played baseball for many years, Joe, and the forearm shiver to try to knock a ball out of your opponent's glove happens more frequently than i think you know. baseball is a contact sport, despite arguments to the contrary.

BTW, i have a friend who played for the Red Sox for a short time...got his first MLB hit against none other than Moose Mussina. (nothing to do with this thread)

cheers!

wayabvpar
10-20-2004, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My biggest problem was that A-Rod's slap looked like a 5 year old girl shooing away a mosquito. God he is a b****h. I have never been happier that he is no longer a Mariner .

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We should get some jackets made.

ThaSaltCracka
10-20-2004, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We should get some jackets made.

[/ QUOTE ]
what do you mean should? I already do /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Joe Tall
10-20-2004, 02:59 PM
i played baseball for many years, Joe, and the forearm shiver to try to knock a ball out of your opponent's glove happens more frequently than i think you know

I know it happens. Seen it happen and everytime I did, I thought to myself, "That dirty little rat."

BTW, i have a friend who played for the Red Sox for a short time...got his first MLB hit against none other than Moose Mussina. (nothing to do with this thread)

Now that's pretty damn cool!

GO SOX!
-Joe Tall

ThaSaltCracka
10-20-2004, 03:07 PM
here are a couple pics you sox fans might like
http://msn.foxsports.com/id/3094330_7_2.jpg

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/3094388_7_2.jpg

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/3094474_7_3.jpg

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/3094476_7_2.jpg

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/3094494_7_2.jpg

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/3094572_7_2.jpg

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/3094578_7_2.jpg

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/3094744_7_2.jpg

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/3094778_7_2.jpg

Toro
10-20-2004, 04:17 PM
Awesome pics.

tripdad
10-20-2004, 05:06 PM
the Commissioner's office may be interested to see the one where Shilling is either removing or replacing the sandpaper from the tongue of his shoe. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

cheers!

Sponger15SB
10-20-2004, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Awesome pics.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cracked up at every one of them!

ThaSaltCracka
10-20-2004, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Awesome pics.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cracked up at every one of them!

[/ QUOTE ]

I picked some that both Boston and NY fans would like.

I forgot about that catch Sheff made.... /images/graemlins/blush.gif, that was a nice freakin catch.