PDA

View Full Version : When not to slowplay a set?

kurosh
10-19-2004, 10:19 PM
.5/1 NL on Paradise.

Dealt 99 in the BB.

1 limper, someone raises to 3, a caller, I call, limper calls.

Flop is 2 9 A with two clubs.

You're first to act, do you check or bet? I realize there is a flush draw out but I figured with the action PF, someone must have hit that ace and would bet then depending on the results I could check-raise or call.

Results:
<font color="white">
I check. Limper raises 3, PF raiser went all-in, one fold, I call all-in, limper folds. PF raiser shows AK and MHIG</font>

amoeba
10-19-2004, 10:36 PM
you should bet even more when there is ace on board. you think hes just going to call you with AK? He'll raise your flop bet with AK.

Ben
10-19-2004, 10:38 PM
I bet anyway. I'm not gonna risk it getting checked around for a free card that could make me cry.

okayplayer
10-19-2004, 11:16 PM
I'd bet out. I'd probably try and lead with a decent bet (~2/3 pot) hoping to get raised by AK.

dmk
10-20-2004, 01:47 AM
You slowplay a set when there are no draws and no A on board. There's an A. There's a flush draw. You bet. You probably bet &gt; 90% w/ a flopped set.

kurosh
10-20-2004, 01:55 AM
I realize you have to bet when there are draws on the board. The question I'm asking here is, if you're 90% sure the people after you will bet, why not let them get the extra money in there and trap some people in between you?

telltale
10-20-2004, 02:29 AM
Is the PFraiser aggressive or passive. If he's aggressive let him bet it out to possibly get the limper to commit some chips to the pot before you "pop" it for a nice raise. If he's aggressive AND has paired the Ace then your likely to take his money. If he's passive bet it and don't give the free card.

phil_ivey_fan
10-20-2004, 08:59 AM
True you don't wanna slow play a set w/ a draw out there.

...BUT, I don't think there is anything wrong w/ checking your set if you are in EP with an Ace on the board and no draws. In a multiway-raised-pot when that ace hits, you are sure to have someone bet out their pair of Aces.

cornell2005
10-20-2004, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

...BUT, I don't think there is anything wrong w/ checking your set if you are in EP with an Ace on the board and no draws. In a multiway-raised-pot when that ace hits, you are sure to have someone bet out their pair of Aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

if there is an ace out there you DONT want to check your set, unless the stacks are very very shallow. when you get you will likely get action if an ace is on the board, and if you check raise you will force alot of those aces to fold while the pot is still small. bet the entire way with a set on an ace high board, and hope someone has a high ace and wants to raise you along the way. the check raise on the flop shows way too much strength for what it is worth equity wise

dmk
10-20-2004, 09:16 AM
The point is, w/ an A on the flop, you want to bet from EP. You're going to extract more $ by either calling the As raise or re-raising it on the flop. Check-raising is too strong of a play and one pair will immediately slowdown unless they're a complete LAG or stacks are too shallow, in which case you're stacking them no matter how you play it. Its true that the A will bet out, but a majority of the time they'll raise a bet from you, which means rather than them deciding whether to call a raise, they've already committed to it, and may be close to pot-committed to backing their entire stack (especially in 50BB games).

staunchdog
10-20-2004, 10:43 AM
My plan A would be something like this:

Unless there is 2 to a flush on the board, I don't think you have anything to worry about here. I don't think anybody would be playing 45 or 56. I might make a small bet to cut down the odds on an inside straight draw (say a little less than half of the pot). Everybody will fold to the Ace, who should reraise, and then you can just call him on the turn and try to sell your hand on the river.

If there is a two flush on the board, I'd make a pot-sized bet for value on the flop.

VBM
10-20-2004, 11:22 AM
what is:
EP
MHIG

?

Wayfare
10-20-2004, 11:29 AM
EP = Early position
MHIG = My hand is good

slaman
10-20-2004, 11:42 AM
The way I view this situation may be a bit different than other people that have responded.

There are four people, this is a fairly large multi-way pot now. You need to eliminate any chance of draws, both flush and straight draws. I personally would open up betting the size of the pot.

What this would do would make the Ace pair to *just* call, and if you've got a fish in there, maybe a flush draw might call as well.

Now you've $12 in the pot pre-flop, $48 after flop (or $36 if it's just you and Ace).

Turn comes, and it's a blank, show weakness somehow... pause... then bet the same amount - don't increase your bet size.

Now what I'm assuming is the flush draw folds, and the Ace pair will either call or raise (you react by calling, not raising)

You want that Ace to make two pair and let him think he has control now.

When a flush card drops, check, he bets, you go all-in.
When a blank drops, bet double what you've been betting previously.

Huge pot this way.

What's wrong with my approach? This is how I'd personally do it, but I'd love to hear critiques.