PDA

View Full Version : AJ - betting the river against a sudden stop

topspin
10-19-2004, 09:59 PM
One time I have trouble deciding when to bet the river is a hand like this, when someone's been showing aggression the whole way but suddenly decides to slow down on the river. It's particularly hard to get a read here since villain is BB and could have any two.

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (11 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero ...

topspin
10-20-2004, 10:38 AM
Is this a tossup as to whether to bet or not? I'm thinking that on the flop, there's really no draw he could be pumping so hard, unless he had 64 or something equally ridiculous. Hence I checked it through figuring he was going for a check-raise.

Since UTG is coming along for the ride does that tip the scale towards betting? How about if I were heads-up? (I presume I still call if I get check-raised?)

btspider
10-20-2004, 10:49 AM
You must raise this preflop.

I'd bet the river. I hate when they check-raise and I look like an idiot, but just mark them down for FPS and go on.

Quercus
10-20-2004, 11:06 AM
Raise preflop. AJ isn't great multiway, and you don't want to allow ragged aces in.

Bet the river. BB looks like his 64 whiffed.

topspin
10-20-2004, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I didn't notice my mistake until you guys pointed it out. I'd assumed the table was full, and for some reason SSH cuts off raising just before AJo in EP.

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the river. BB looks like his 64 whiffed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only because UTG is also in the hand, or even if it's HU? 64 probably folds to a raise so I'm not getting any value by betting against it.

topspin
10-20-2004, 04:32 PM
Thanks for replies. BB had Jd4d and UTG had Ah2c, MHIG.

davelin
10-20-2004, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Losfer
10-20-2004, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you don't want to allow ragged aces in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have thought you would love to have ragged aces come along since you dominate them. I do agree with the raise though.

topspin
10-20-2004, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Who says crazy people only play at Party? /images/graemlins/smile.gif