PDA

View Full Version : Blind defense gets crazy

JDErickson
10-19-2004, 08:49 PM
Fairly new to table. No reads on opponent

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">5 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (2 SB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 15 BB, between SB and Hero.</font>

Evan
10-19-2004, 08:53 PM
I don't like the river cap. What worse hand could he have?

bakku
10-19-2004, 08:55 PM
What Evan said, and raise PF

edit : Actually, just call the river. A worse hand like a flush can't call a raise, you're splitting with an A, and you're getting 3-bet by a K.

Fnord
10-19-2004, 08:56 PM
Raise pre-flop! I like to save the Ace surprise for A2/A3.

After the turn just call it down.

JDErickson
10-19-2004, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise pre-flop! I like to save the Ace surprise for A2/A3.

After the turn just call it down.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought about raising. Not sure why I didn't

This is the 2nd time in a week I have run into quads like this. I have a real hard time giving someone credit for quads. Need to rethink that

Fnord
10-19-2004, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I thought about raising. Not sure why I didn't

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising is win/win for you here and failing to raise makes it profitable for the SB to complete with a wide range of hands.

A9 plays well heads up because a pair of 9s will often be good.

If he's not dominated/wired then you're around a ~60/40 favorite. If he folds (yes, they do sometimes fold in this spot at 2/4), it's a coup for your hand. He probably should call, but that's still generating value. Also, the bigger pot makes calling down with a naked Ace more forgiving if you choose to.

However, I would check A2/A3 in this spot, particularly if the SB almost never folds. A pair of 2s/3s is unlikely to hold up and if I catch an Ace there is decption value. If I whiff I can just let it go.