PDA

View Full Version : KK and QQ

08-02-2001, 08:41 PM
If you've got KK or QQ and bet/raise preflop, what do you do when the flop comes something like Ac 8h 9h. What's the best way to figure out if a better has a pair of A's or is on the draw? i.e. fold to save a pile or raise to win it?

08-03-2001, 01:00 AM
Erik,

I'm going to use the answer that I get with some of my posts... it depends on the current situation. Here's some things for you to consider when pondering your move.

1) How many players are contesting? Heads up you should never check a flop like this after your preflop raise. Especially if you have position over your opponent. Several players in (4+), you'll have to be careful because odds are someone might be there with an A. I'll still usually bet flop if the field checks to me.

2) Position... the later the better. As I said before, if I have position and the field checks to me, I'll bet the flop and see who comes along. If your position is poor (SB, BB, UTG, EP) this becomes complicated. See #3.

3) Your opponents. Here's a situation when knowing your opponents and their tendencies is crucial. If you're against 1-2 opponents who will draw or call with middle pair, then it becomes mandatory to bet the turn if a non-threatening card falls. If you still have several opponents, and one or more will call you down with any weak A then maybe a check is in order and hope you snag your 22:1 shot on the river. Be more inclined to bet if you're against better players because they will sometimes lay down a presumed weaker Ace. Check against calling stations.

4) Previous action. If you're in good position, a flop like this comes down and there's a bet and a raise to you... then your QQ or KK is probably doomed. Pay attention and muck in situations like this unless your opponents are super-loose/maniac type material.

5) Do you have other outs? For instance, on this flop do you have Kh or Qh? It may not seem like much of an out, but it just might make the difference between folding and making it profitable to take one off. I'd be more apt to take one off with KK (with K of hearts) than I would with QQ. A Q on the turn will complete the straight draw and tie you on, possibly making it really expensive for you in the end.

6) Your table image. Do your opponents respect you? If players have a healthy respect/fear for your abilities, you will be able to semi-bluff steal more often in a dreaded situation like this. Consider this aspect, but also don't ignore the tendencies of your opponents. It will not work against a calling station.

I hope this info will help you to make good decisions. I'm sure other posters will come along and expand on some of the aspects I've covered. Hopefully some will offer you new things to consider.

Best wishes, Mike

08-03-2001, 11:04 AM