PDA

View Full Version : AQ UTG

cjs
10-19-2004, 07:25 PM
New to table so no reads. Didn't like the way the hand played out so I'll take comments on all streets.
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

River: (8 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB

Entity
10-19-2004, 07:27 PM
Raise this preflop. Otherwise, it looks pretty standard. SB was probably checkraising with two clubs, and MP1 looks like he was smooth calling with a king all along, but the pot's too big to fold.

If MP1's loose-passive and I know it, I might be able to fold here, but I feel like my hand is good 10%. Either that or it's one of those +sanity, -EV calls. I hate those.

Rob

bernie
10-20-2004, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
New to table so no reads. Didn't like the way the hand played out so I'll take comments on all streets.
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A /images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Hero calls,

[/ QUOTE ]

I got this far and stopped. A study of preflop play will help you.

b

cjs
10-20-2004, 08:58 AM
bernie. I realize no raise preflop is a mistake but I don't believe it had an effect on how the hand played out. Do you think I would have been given more credit for king if I had raised preflop?

Chris Daddy Cool
10-20-2004, 09:14 AM
what you do preflop will have a lot of bearing on what happens postflop. all hands really begin at the beginning and are built from there.

bernie
10-20-2004, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I realize no raise preflop is a mistake but I don't believe it had an effect on how the hand played out. Do you think I would have been given more credit for king if I had raised preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

It could have gotten MP out. Or it could've charged the hell out of him preflop for seeing the flop with a lesser hand. The hand tends to play easier if raised preflop. One of the benefits of aggression. SB likely has a wimpy A.

If MP has a K, he didn't exactly play it that well postflop. He may not have one and is bluffing on the end with a busted flush. OR he couldve smoothed good hand preflop and flopped a monster. I'd call the river for info.

There are other reasons to raise AQo UTG. Not knowing the results, if someone had a K, you may have been doomed to lose the hand anyways. That will happen and it's beyond your control. What is within your control is how much you make/save between when the cards are dealt and showdown regardless of who the pot is pushed to.

b

jrz1972
10-20-2004, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bernie. I realize no raise preflop is a mistake but I don't believe it had an effect on how the hand played out. Do you think I would have been given more credit for king if I had raised preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. If you were sitting there with two clubs, somebody raised PF, and then came out betting on this board, it would look pretty scary, no?

slavic
10-20-2004, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you see this is a mistake then why do you do it? When I read the preflop play I thought, hmm table seems a bit tightish I wonder if he raised if he could have been heads up or have stolen the blinds?

You see AQo is a nice hand and all but if you just steal the blinds with it, that's a heck of a deal. The better part of an hours work to be exact.

Fat Nicky
10-20-2004, 03:45 PM
I fold KJo to a raise, but limp (or raise depending on the situation) if it hasn't been raised.

A raise sometimes folds hands like KQ, KJ, KT

cjs
10-20-2004, 04:30 PM
I don't disagree with what anyone has said. I have a preflop raise % over 9 so not raising AQ UTG is not my standard play. It was a mistake but I thought the river play was of more interest.

It looked to me that sb missed his draw so I lead the betting even though I was not sure I was ahead. Do most posters lead this river?

After getting raised I wished I hadn't bet. Felt I had to call the raise. Is this another mistake on the end?

Aces McGee
10-20-2004, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I fold KJo to a raise, but limp (or raise depending on the situation) if it hasn't been raised

[/ QUOTE ]

You just said in Bob T.'s ATs thread that the only time you think limping is acceptable in EP with middle pairs and suited broadways. KJo is neither a middle pair nor a suited broadway hand.

-McGee

Fat Nicky
10-20-2004, 05:04 PM
Let me clarify:

I fold KJo to a raise, but limp (or raise depending on the situation) if it hasn't been raised in MP and LP.

cjs
10-20-2004, 05:55 PM
Mp showed A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and my kicker wins.

Looking back at this hand the preflop limp probably gave the MP player the idea that I didn't have an A - big kicker.

But a preflop raise may have folded him out.

I guess the hand played out different and the preflop mistake is the biggest mistake.

cjs

bernie
10-20-2004, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A raise sometimes folds hands like KQ, KJ, KT

[/ QUOTE ]

You actually don't mind these hands calling a raise.

b

bernie
10-20-2004, 06:15 PM
One reason you got lost during this hand was because of the lack of a preflop raise. You can hit your hand, then spend 2+ streets wondering where you're at.

[ QUOTE ]
Looking back at this hand the preflop limp probably gave the MP player the idea that I didn't have an A - big kicker.

But a preflop raise may have folded him out

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. Raise it anyways.

b