PDA

View Full Version : My first shot at 5/10, a KK hand

hokke
10-19-2004, 06:13 PM
Today I realized I had $300 in my Party account (I normally play another skin), and decided to take a shot at 5/10 with it. I think I played a little scared money, but I don't think it was too bad.

This is the hand I think I messed up the most.
It's BB's first hand, no read on him. UTG is somewhat decent preflop but calls down to much postflop.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.70 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.70 BB

EDIT: The converter screwed it up

joker122
10-19-2004, 06:32 PM
You're better off betting the turn, folding to a CR, and checking behind on the river. With a board like this your opponents will call a flop bet with a bunch of hands that don't include an ace. So when you check the turn through you are giving a free card a good amount of time.

Brian
10-19-2004, 07:45 PM
Hi joker,

Weird, my last reply didn't go through. Anyways...

I don't think whether or not to fold to the Turn check-raise is as clear-cut as you are making it out to be. You will often have at least 6 outs vs. a Turn check-raise, if not more. Against QJ, Q8, and J8, you have 12 outs. Against any Ace-twopair, QQ, JJ, and 88, you have 6 outs. A Turn check-raise could also easily be a semi-bluff, which are common at SH tables.

If you can't easily fold to the Turn check-raise, then whether or not to bet the Turn to begin with becomes a much tougher decision. My default play is to bet, and I am sure that most others would recommend it as well, but I'd like to hear from anyone who advocates checking this Turn. Thanks,

-Brian

[EDIT]: I wouldn't have called the River with the Queen pairing. While the bet could easily be a bluff, the call is almost certainly an Ace or better. I don't think you are good the one in seven times required to make this call. I generally avoid these awkward situations by betting the Turn to begin with, though. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

-Brian

J.R.
10-19-2004, 09:08 PM
I'd bet the turn, there are lots of worse hands they can have that will call (or worse hands that will fold that would like a free card). The turn bet is even more clear given that UTG calls down to loosely postflop - take his money. You basically will have opponents who call too much in these games, so try to squeeze out the value that you can.

If you are check-raised you are beat pretty much always here, but will be getting at least 7.7-1 with possible T and K outs, as well as other outs against QJ or a lesser 2 pair. But its close because you don't know what is clean, and against 2 players on the turn you could be drawing very thin. Your gutshots outs will often be clean becuase you have 2 of the 4 kings, but they T /images/graemlins/spade.gif may be tainted. Your set outs are also tainted because a T makes broadway and you don't have the K /images/graemlins/spade.gif. The cleanliness of your spade/K outs is most in question when UTG check-raises and MP calls 2, but headsup I would think you probably have 2 K and 4 T outs.

Having checked, the bet and call on the usually river means you are beat (unless they are fairly special opponents), so I don't care for the river overcall. I you think you are good often enough to call on the river, you were good enough to bet the turn when your hand was vulnerable to many river cards.

joker122
10-19-2004, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are check-raised you are beat pretty much always here, but will be getting at least 7.7-1 with possible T and K outs, as well as other outs against QJ or a lesser 2 pair. But its close because you don't know what is clean, and against 2 players on the turn you could be drawing very thin. Your gutshots outs will often be clean becuase you have 2 of the 4 kings, but they T may be tainted. Your set outs are also tainted because a T makes broadway and you don't have the K . The cleanliness of your spade/K outs is most in question when UTG check-raises and MP calls 2, but headsup I would think you probably have 2 K and 4 T outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're calling a turn CR, right? Also, are you folding to a blank (a non king, non ten, no board pairing card) river?

joker122
10-21-2004, 09:39 PM
results?

hokke
10-25-2004, 07:09 PM
I forgot to post the results, but here it is.

I guessed you would all tell me to bet the turn, but I'm pretty sure I couldn't have folded to a C/R, and since I wanted to show down my hand I would probably have called the river too. I figured a turn check and calling a single bet on the river would be the cheapest route to showdown. I didn't really think in terms of giving free cards as I thought there was a big risk that I was drawing myself. Is that totally off?

Anyway, results: UTG had 98 of clubs, BB had TT and MHIG.