PDA

View Full Version : Limit Tourney - Bad turn play?

nightlyraver
10-19-2004, 04:26 PM
OK - here was the situation:

9+1 Party Poker Million Qualifier. Down to about 1/3 the players. Stakes are at $150/$300. I have ~$3,400 in chips, which is above average, but at these stakes I really need to bank a bunch more or forget about winning.

I'm UTG+1 and get dealt AA. UTG folds and I open for a raise. MP2 calls, Button calls, BB calls - ok not exactly what I wanted, but fine. The flop is all rags. BB checks, I come out betting and all call save the button who folds. The turn is yet another rag and this time the BB comes out for a bet, which happens to amount to about 1/3 his remaining stack.

Here is the question - what does this mean? Did he flop a set? Did he turn 2-pair? Or does he just have a hand like A8s which would give him TPTK and he is just throwing the rest of his chips in?

In the actual hand I raised, MP2 folded and BB called. The bottom card paired on the end and BB put his last $120 in the pot, which, knowing I was almost certainly beat, I called since the pot was at almost $5000 at that point. He won a big pot, showed his boat. Actual holding 85s!! He flopped bottom pair, 2-paired the turn and hit a boat on the end.

Did I play this all wrong???!!!

Note: I had no read on any player since I just recently was moved to this table.

nolanfan34
10-19-2004, 04:38 PM
You played it fine, on the turn included. From a short stack like that, I'd expect on the turn that he has just decided to go for it with a piece of the board. You can't fold. He may think you're on missed overcards and that his pair is good.

AA loses sometime, tough beat, but it happens.

RavenJackson
10-19-2004, 04:46 PM
How much did you raise UTG+1? Do you think you raised enough to theorhetically push the BB off those cards [85s]?

nolanfan34
10-19-2004, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How much did you raise UTG+1? Do you think you raised enough to theorhetically push the BB off those cards [85s]?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a limit tournament, he didn't have many raising options. The BB of course probably felt it was worth seeing a flop with 85s with 3 others in the pot already, and probably was getting decent odds to do so.

RavenJackson
10-19-2004, 04:57 PM
Good point.