PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 NL 100 Max

the42
10-19-2004, 04:02 PM
I would like input on how I played this hand.
I was in LP with Ah Ad. everyone limped around to me. I made it 10 to call. One loud mouth said he wasn't going to be pushed around half jokingly and called and another decent player who was complaing of getting beat with good hands so he was playing cheese called.

Flop Jh 6s Jc.

I bet 20. Loud mouth folds. decent player calls.

Turn Jd.

I bet 40. called

River is a rag. I go all-in. About another 25. He calls.

He had quad J.

Input please... Thnx

amoeba
10-19-2004, 05:13 PM
nothing wrong. Can't fear quads.

soah
10-19-2004, 05:37 PM
What exactly did you put him on? This is not a friendly flop for AA and with two opponents you must consider that you might be beaten. There are zero possible draws out there so you are either way ahead or way behind. I'd slow down here unless I'm certain that my opponents are going to call me down with any pocket pair.

It may be reasonable advice to not fear quads but at the same time you have to understand that betting is only correct if your hand is vulnerable or if you are likely to get called by a weaker hand. Neither seems true here.

amoeba
10-19-2004, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What exactly did you put him on? This is not a friendly flop for AA and with two opponents you must consider that you might be beaten. There are zero possible draws out there so you are either way ahead or way behind. I'd slow down here unless I'm certain that my opponents are going to call me down with any pocket pair.

It may be reasonable advice to not fear quads but at the same time you have to understand that betting is only correct if your hand is vulnerable or if you are likely to get called by a weaker hand. Neither seems true here.

[/ QUOTE ]

how is this not a friendly flop? I would be much more afraid of single jack flop than 2 jack flop as people calling 5xBB preflop with JJ for set value is a bit more likely than people calling 5xBB with Aj, Qj, Kj. Since I hold AA, the possibility of AJ is even less likely. Is the game so loose that players are calling 5xBB with Qj, Kj? I don't see how betting on the flop is wrong in this situation.

You don't think KK or QQ won't call you down?

MrFroggyX
10-19-2004, 07:10 PM
You must raise bigger preflop!
If everyone called to you the pot must be around $14-$16.. And you raise to $10? Raise at lest to $15. Preferably more.
On the Flop.. Well fire out and test the waters.. But what are you doing on the Turn? Slow down boy.. What do you think they are calling you with? And on the river.. Check and call instead off betting.. That way maybe 1% off the time they are bluffing.. Thats more +EV in the long run.

MrFroggyX
10-19-2004, 07:15 PM
as people calling 5xBB preflop with JJ for set value is a bit more likely than people calling 5xBB with Aj, Qj, Kj.

5xBB in a pot where the whole table have limped.. That's +EV for almost any hand to call with.

gergery
10-19-2004, 07:23 PM
Bet more preflop. If this is fullring and 7 people limped for $2 each then the pot is $14, so I’d bet at least that. Since you are not willing to fold your AA postflop when your opponent strongly hints you may be beat, then you should bet more preflop to cut down on his implied odds. Even with raise to $14 you give your opponents 2:1 odds and they have a good idea what your hand is.

Your flop bet is good since on that flop there are no flush or straight draws to worry about, so underbetting the pot is fine to try to keep worse pairs in.

Your turn bet is bad. He has now said he has some kind of hand. Either he has a J or 66 and you are way behind to 2 outs, or he has a pair so you’re way ahead and he has only 2 outs. If you are ahead, then giving a free card doesn’t hurt you and you can try to induce a bluff. If you’re behind then you don’t want any more money in. Betting again just confirms you have a big pair and you’ll only get called if you’re beat. Check and let an opponent with QQ/88 think you have AK, and let an opponent with Jx think you’ve given up.

--Greg

soah
10-19-2004, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how is this not a friendly flop? I would be much more afraid of single jack flop than 2 jack flop as people calling 5xBB preflop with JJ for set value is a bit more likely than people calling 5xBB with Aj, Qj, Kj. Since I hold AA, the possibility of AJ is even less likely. Is the game so loose that players are calling 5xBB with Qj, Kj?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming this is a partypoker hand that we're discussing. You can expect a raise to get called by anyone that has two cards larger than eight, and they won't budge once they've made trips or top pair.

BobboFitos
10-20-2004, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would like input on how I played this hand.
I was in LP with Ah Ad. everyone limped around to me. I made it 10 to call. One loud mouth said he wasn't going to be pushed around half jokingly and called and another decent player who was complaing of getting beat with good hands so he was playing cheese called.

Flop Jh 6s Jc.

I bet 20. Loud mouth folds. decent player calls.

Turn Jd.

I bet 40. called

River is a rag. I go all-in. About another 25. He calls.

He had quad J.

Input please... Thnx

[/ QUOTE ]

You know... I often dont advocate checking after a PFR, but this is a perfect situation for it. When you're behind (as you are here) you lose the most to trip jacks, and because you're out of position, a bet could eliminate hands that might bluff at you; either small pps which you have crushed to two outs or random 2 cards which you have dead to runners.

Then bet the turn, if it's checked through. Hopefully they pair the turn and you get value.

After the turn makes trips on board, probably figure him for a 6 or so, (you say he was playing trash) as quads at this point are unlikely, so you are destined to lose the rest.

BobboFitos
10-20-2004, 10:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet more preflop. If this is fullring and 7 people limped for $2 each then the pot is $14, so I’d bet at least that. Since you are not willing to fold your AA postflop when your opponent strongly hints you may be beat, then you should bet more preflop to cut down on his implied odds. Even with raise to $14 you give your opponents 2:1 odds and they have a good idea what your hand is.

Your flop bet is good since on that flop there are no flush or straight draws to worry about, so underbetting the pot is fine to try to keep worse pairs in.

Your turn bet is bad. He has now said he has some kind of hand. Either he has a J or 66 and you are way behind to 2 outs, or he has a pair so you’re way ahead and he has only 2 outs. If you are ahead, then giving a free card doesn’t hurt you and you can try to induce a bluff. If you’re behind then you don’t want any more money in. Betting again just confirms you have a big pair and you’ll only get called if you’re beat. Check and let an opponent with QQ/88 think you have AK, and let an opponent with Jx think you’ve given up.

--Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, if he has a pp lower then jacks on the turn, he's drawing dead to AA. Jacks full of aces beats whatever they make.

Another reason why check/calling is surprisingly a decent line.

GimmeDaWatch
10-20-2004, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how is this not a friendly flop? I would be much more afraid of single jack flop than 2 jack flop as people calling 5xBB preflop with JJ for set value is a bit more likely than people calling 5xBB with Aj, Qj, Kj. Since I hold AA, the possibility of AJ is even less likely. Is the game so loose that players are calling 5xBB with Qj, Kj? I don't see how betting on the flop is wrong in this situation.

You don't think KK or QQ won't call you down?

[/ QUOTE ]

They LIMPED then cold-called, there is 0 chance they have KK or QQ. On flops like this I tend to play pretty cautiously with my overpair. Id bet 1/2-2/3 the pot on the flop and most players will not call you here without a Jack. Obviously, you like the turn as it makes a Jack less likely, but Id check behind on the turn and call a reasonable bet on the river (I would think he'd be looking for a call and probably wont bet toooo big, hopefully). I think against most players this route loses you less when you're behind and makes you the same or more if he has a middle pair or something.

the42
10-20-2004, 11:03 AM
Thx for everyone's input.. I just found this place... its awesome.