PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys have Drive-Throughs where you live?

Q8offsuit
10-19-2004, 02:27 PM
Some other post about tipping got me thinking about this, so here's a couple of random questions.

In Cincinnati, Columbus and all over Central and Northern Ohio (there's even one on Put-in-Bay where there are few cars) we have peculiar institutions called Drive-Throughs. No, I'm not talking about your average McDonald's or Wendy's Drive-Through, these are convienience stores that you literally drive through. You pull right into the store, which is like a 7-11 or something with two garage doors on either side to accomodate traffic.

You roll down your window, give the guy your order for Green Mad Dog 20/20, Jolt Cola, Strawberry Phillies, Hot Fries, Parliament Lights, and Gummi Bears, and he goes and gets everything while you watch and then stashes it in your back seat or trunk for you.

I've extensively travelled the U.S. and it seems to me like these Drive-Throughs are peculiarly Ohio institutions. Anywhere else, you go to your Open Pantry / White Hen / Circle K / Go Mart or whatever it is where you live to get stuff. My Buddy from Wisconsin was visiting (not in his right mind at the time) and got literally terrified because he thought I was driving into the side of a building when we went down the street to hit the Drive-Through.

Oh, one other thing- I've never even thought about tipping the guy at the Drive-Through but last week in Columbus I went through to get Phillies (a $2 total purchase) and my friend berated me for waiting for my change and not tipping the guy. So, that got me thinking. I guess he does do my shopping for me, but isn't that the whole point of the Drive-Through idea? Should I tip the next time?

daryn
10-19-2004, 02:38 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Green Mad Dog 20/20

[/ QUOTE ]

how bad.

Q8offsuit
11-10-2004, 07:41 PM
shameless bump- inquiring minds want to know!

ilya
11-10-2004, 07:45 PM
No.

Actually I thought you were talking about drive-through movie theaters. We still have a couple of those here in the Northeast.

PhatTBoll
11-10-2004, 07:48 PM
These are called beer barns in NY.

spamuell
11-10-2004, 08:14 PM
We don't have them in the UK, as far as I'm aware.

Seems to me you should tip.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess he does do my shopping for me, but isn't that the whole point of the Drive-Through idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that she does bring me food, but isn't that the whole point of the restaurant idea?

Conversely, I suppose:

I guess that he does cook my food, but isn't that the whole point of the restaurant idea?

There doesn't really seem to be any logic to tipping people, so I don't know. Probably, though.

Rick Nebiolo
11-11-2004, 12:39 AM
I see them all over Southern California but rarely where I need them (on the right side of the road on my way home). I rarely make left turns to pick up a couple items unless I really am in a fix.

~ Rick