PDA

View Full Version : QQ late in the tourney

Glintir
10-19-2004, 01:23 PM
I was in a 5+1 tourney last night on Pokerroom. At this point I'm 13th chip stack of 23 remaining, and I'm in the money. The money gets deep around 8th position. Here's the situation I found myself in on the button. Unfotunately, didn't get hand number so I'll reconstruct as best I can.

Blinds are 600/1200, and going up in less than a minute to 800/1600. I'm on the button with Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

MP1 (t29000)
CO (t14000)
Hero (t15000)
SB (t4000)
BB (t10000)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
3 folds, MP1 bets t7000, CO calls t7000, Button....

Now what? These are my thoughts at the time.

My read on MP1 is this. He had been playing a decent number of hands, is about 8th chip stack, and usually raises to 2x the BB when he gets in. For reason I read his bet to mean he doesn't have a big pair, and wants only a few callers, if any. I figure him for two big cards or a middle pair.

CO has been a yo-yo. Playing alot of hands and either folding on the flop or pushing preflop every one. This call says to me Ax or Kx suited or small pair.

The two player on the blinds are short stacked, and have been playing tight. Odds are if I go all in, they'll fold. I'm not sure, however, if my all in will cause MP1 to fold. I'm sure CO will call.

Seems like a push or fold to me.

dogmeat
10-19-2004, 01:47 PM
I agree with the push or fold. You will have company either way, and if you call, you will be all-in on the flop. I am sure the first raiser will bet the 8K it takes to get you and the other caller all-in. Do you want to be all in here before the flop? Since you are probably up against something like AJ and KQ, maybe a pair of JJ or TT -I say get all in so you are not tempted to fold (which would be terrible, regardless of what flopped) after the flop.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Jackarama_
10-19-2004, 01:48 PM
if you dont put either of them on a big pair,and think they both have Ax or Kx,then id push here as your the slight favourite /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bernas
10-19-2004, 01:55 PM
Push.

SossMan
10-19-2004, 01:59 PM
Cmon guys, let's not overthink this. It's about as much push or fold as having AA from the BB on the first hand and someone pushes in 90% of their chips in the pot from the SB. YOU HAVE QQ WITH 10X AND SOMEONE BET HALF YOUR STACK PREFLOP AND THERE IS ONE CALLER!! GET THOSE CHIPS IN THERE ASAP!!

davidross
10-19-2004, 02:49 PM
I kept wondering if this was a joke?

Once in the next 110 hands you should get Aces or Kings if you want to wait. Are Kings good enough to push with?

THis is as easy a push as your going to get.

KKsuited
10-19-2004, 03:07 PM
I absolutely hate QQ, but I'd probably push in there. I've been busted to many times with QQ, and some of my best laydowns were QQ.

I'll be signing up for Pokerroom.com pretty soon. The one guy flat called half his stack? That's pretty funny to me. I hope he had AA and was trying to trap you and the big stack.

SossMan
10-19-2004, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and some of my best laydowns were QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Save your good laydowns for ATs, not QQ.

AceKQJT
10-19-2004, 03:35 PM
If you are going to fold QQ in this situation, you need another hobby. You have less than 10x holding QQ. Odds are you won't see a hand this good or better in the next 7 orbits! No time to spare! Get those chips in there and triple up!

--Casey

ZeeJustin
10-19-2004, 04:44 PM
Shove every time.

FWIW, you called this a push or fold situation. While calling is indeed a bad play, it is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than folding.

Glintir
10-19-2004, 04:55 PM
First off, thanks for the information. This wasn't a joke, and heads up vs any one player I wouldn't hesitate. I just wasn't sure if this was one of those situations where two callers made it a bad idea.

Also, since someone suggested a new hobby. I'll mention I've only been playing for about 6 months, so for a complete newb, I'm doing well. I just find situations I'm not sure about.

In any case, I pushed. Blinds folded. The other two called.

Imagine my delight when they BOTH turned over AK unsuited. Unfortunately, an Ace hit on the turn and they split my stack.

Glintir
10-19-2004, 05:00 PM
That half stack call baffled me utterly. But I see people on Pokerroom doing things like that all the time. I've seen people limp into a pot with a blind of t200 with a t300 stack from middle position. If you're that committed, just push it in.

I've also seen people just refuse to raise the extra t20 to put some guy all in who left himself a tiny amount of chips after his bet.

KKsuited
10-19-2004, 05:19 PM
SossMan - I have to really disagree with your making a joke of me laying down QQ. In this situation, I wouldn't lay down QQ, but there are others where I would.

ATs a good laydown? In this situation yes, but I hope in others this hand is not one you find tough to laydown.

I'd say we're just talking about different situations.

Midway through a tournament, if I raise, get reraised, and a 3rd guy reraises all in, I would consider laying down QQ. One of the biggest tournaments I've ever won, I layed down QQ to KK and AK. I would have been done.

davidross
10-19-2004, 07:37 PM
It's a tough break but absolutely the right play. TO win one of these tournaments you need to win almost every pot you play at the end. You got a great hand for that to happen and got unlucky. Most of the time you will come out of that hand in great shape, and some day you'll be the guy that beats the odds and wins while behind.

I'm amazed at the caller having AK, I thought for sure you'd see a medium pair there.