PDA

View Full Version : Hey Salty, like Grady?

Toro
10-19-2004, 01:19 PM
Just heard a prediction from Neumie on WEEI. Grady Little will be the M's new manager.

ThaSaltCracka
10-19-2004, 01:24 PM
Its between either him or Hargrove. To be honest, neither one excites or depress me. Grady seems like a good manager(minus the whole Pedro debacle) and so does Hargrove. It just depends on which one works better with young players.

nolanfan34
10-19-2004, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just heard a prediction from Neumie on WEEI. Grady Little will be the M's new manager.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, a prediction from a sports talk host? That's good enough proof for me! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I'm still holding out hope that they'll break the bank and get Whitey Herzog to come back, a la Jack McKeon.

wayabvpar
10-19-2004, 03:01 PM
The only positive I can think of for having Little around would be that Lowe and Varitek are free agents, and might be inclined to play for him again. OTOH, Garciaparra is also in that group, and I don't have any interest in watching another decomposing veteran.

I like Hargrove. I want someone who will scare the [censored] out of the young guys, fight for the team, and show some personality. Watching Melvin manage was like watching someone doing taxes. Show some life!

ThaSaltCracka
10-19-2004, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like Hargrove. I want someone who will scare the [censored] out of the young guys, fight for the team, and show some personality. Watching Melvin manage was like watching someone doing taxes. Show some life!

[/ QUOTE ] Totally, and I think this may be why they bring Hargrove in.

Toro
10-19-2004, 03:14 PM
Ironic that you mention Lowe and Varitek. Do you remember the trade in which the Red Sox got these guys. We like to think of it as the reverse of the Babe to NY deal.

kerssens
10-19-2004, 03:27 PM
Hargrove did a good job with a young Cleveland team, or maybe they just had good players

wayabvpar
10-19-2004, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ironic that you mention Lowe and Varitek. Do you remember the trade in which the Red Sox got these guys. We like to think of it as the reverse of the Babe to NY deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what you are talking about...Heathcliff Slocombe was a gem!

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth thinking about that deal.

ThaSaltCracka
10-19-2004, 03:46 PM
I think the trade was alright, even though Sloccumb didn't pan out, Lowe and Varitek were still a few years away from being all-stars and at the time Wilson was a very servicable catcher. You can't look at every trade in hinesight.

Toro
10-19-2004, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the trade was alright, even though Sloccumb didn't pan out, Lowe and Varitek were still a few years away from being all-stars and at the time Wilson was a very servicable catcher. You can't look at every trade in hinesight.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding, right? The M's GM didn't do his homework on that one. Everyone in Red Sox nation including Duquette were unanimous about the need to get rid of Slocumb. Duquette probably would have given Seattle a couple of prospects just to take him off our hands if they had pressed hard enough. The guy was horrible.

ThaSaltCracka
10-19-2004, 03:56 PM
I am saying what the M's gave up wasn't as bad persee. You never know how any prospects are going to end up. As for who they traded them for..... well thats a different story.

ThaSaltCracka
10-20-2004, 01:14 PM
Hargrove it is!

Toro
10-20-2004, 02:16 PM
You lucked out!

wayabvpar
10-20-2004, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hargrove it is!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank God. He was among my top choices all along. I always admired him in Cleveland and Baltimore; I think he is a solid choice. Nice to see the M's get one right for once.

ThaSaltCracka
10-20-2004, 03:02 PM
yeah I agree, he turned around the cleveland team, so lets hope he can do the same!

kerssens
10-20-2004, 04:14 PM
I like it too but it won't matter who it is if they don't get some players in here