PDA

View Full Version : Beltran reminds me a lof of....

ThaSaltCracka
10-19-2004, 01:08 PM
Ken Griffry Jr., except for the switch hitting thing.

Discuss!

nolanfan34
10-19-2004, 01:09 PM
I agree to a certain point. He's faster though, and such a threat on the basepaths.

From the clips of old footage I've seen here and there, he reminds me a little of Roberto Clemente too.

ThaSaltCracka
10-19-2004, 01:14 PM
subtract a little speed and add a litte more power and BAM!, you have Griffey. There attitude and temperment even seem the same.

BTW, I am comparing Beltran to Griffey in his early 20's, not to him now.

MrGo
10-19-2004, 01:14 PM
I think Beltran is more of a complete player than Griffey.

ThaSaltCracka
10-19-2004, 01:20 PM
now he is.

I am not sure if you watched Griffey in his prime, but there was a reason why he was the player of the 90's.

nolanfan34
10-19-2004, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Griffey's past few years have clouded our memories of just how good he was in the 90s. Remember that he was considered the player of the 90s, not Bonds. He was the best player in the game for a number of years, and did everything well when he was on the M's.

I'll never forget a game we saw in the Kingdome, early in Griffey's career, maybe his second season. They were playing the Tigers, and Lou Whitaker was on 1st base. Someone hit a ball into the gap, and Whitaker took off to go from 1st to 3rd. Griffey cut off the ball, and threw an absolute laser to 3rd, nailing Whitaker by like 8 feet. I still remember the look of shock on Whitaker's face when the ball got there. He was in total disbelief that Griffey had cut the ball off and made that throw.

ThaSaltCracka
10-19-2004, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Do yourself a favor and look at Griffey's numbers from 1990-1999 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/g/griffke02.shtml) and keep in mind, he was 20-29 in those years. Gold Glove every year as well.