PDA

View Full Version : Iron Men

Toro
10-19-2004, 11:39 AM
I'm really impressed with the two catchers, Posada and Varitek(notwithstanding the difficulty with the knuckleball).

These two guys have just caught every inning of two long gruelling extra inning games. Pretty impressive.

Varitek, in his defense, doesn't catch Wakefield(or is it Winfield) normally. Mirabelli is Wakefield's regular catcher with Varitek only catching a total of two innings all year long. That being said, I think Varitek should go to the oversized mitt if the situation comes up again.

David Steele
10-19-2004, 11:42 AM
Why didn't they bring in Mirabelli when Wakefield came in?

D.

Toro
10-19-2004, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why didn't they bring in Mirabelli when Wakefield came in?

D.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same question a lot of Sox fans are asking and Francona gave this lame answer. We only have 2 catchers so we would be a foul tip away from having to use Pokey Reese who is the emergency 3rd catcher if something were to happen to Mirabelli.

JinX11
10-19-2004, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That being said, I think Varitek should go to the oversized mitt if the situation comes up again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or a butterfly net...man, that was gut-wrenching to watch. I didn't know whether to root for a strikeout or not on Sierra.

andyfox
10-19-2004, 12:24 PM
According to ESPN, Varitek is making $6,900,000 this year and Posada is making $9,000,000. I imagine those salaries include occasional overtime.

Toro
10-19-2004, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
According to ESPN, Varitek is making $6,900,000 this year and Posada is making $9,000,000. I imagine those salaries include occasional overtime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Varitek is a free agent at the end of the season. I think he may be due for a little raise. Of the big four(Varitek, Lowe, Pedro and Nomar) Varitek is the only one who is going to end up making more money from not re-signing last winter.

Nomar stands to lose the most followed by Lowe and then Pedro.