PDA

View Full Version : AKs, different line.

Entity
10-19-2004, 11:08 AM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Given the preflop action, I wasn't very happy with this flop. However, the pot was BIG, and I had two overcards (devalued) and a backdoor straight draw.

Flop: (18.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (12.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, CO checks.

River: (12.25 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB

Comments? Biggest question: is this pot too big for the checkraise to be worth anything? Opponents are still getting ~10.5:1 on a call, so they're correct to call with just about anything. However, I've got the psychological factor of facing them with two cold here.

Peter Harris
10-19-2004, 11:25 AM
i think it's good. Yeah, they're getting odds on a 4-outer or more. But these people are cretins, and some of them will fold out for 2 cold. I mean, most of them think "odds" are strange people.

Regards,
Pete Harris

cab4656
10-19-2004, 11:26 AM
I think I sorta like how you played it.

I think you should've bet the turn. CO slowed down on the flop so we can put him on overcards. MP3 might fold, too.

I know that I often like making it two cold to your opponents instead of waiting for the turn when the pot is big, but I'm not sure it's right here. Since you don't have a made hand yet, it'd be best to do your best to get everyone to fold. I wonder if check-raising the turn would've been better.

Entity
10-19-2004, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I sorta like how you played it.

I think you should've bet the turn. CO slowed down on the flop so we can put him on overcards. MP3 might fold, too.

I know that I often like making it two cold to your opponents instead of waiting for the turn when the pot is big, but I'm not sure it's right here. Since you don't have a made hand yet, it'd be best to do your best to get everyone to fold. I wonder if check-raising the turn would've been better.

[/ QUOTE ]
I really really don't want to have to put two bets in on the turn here. There are only a few hands that 3-bet me preflop that I'm even close to good against here, and my equity really isn't that strong.

I was planning on check/calling the turn if I improved (ace, kings, tens, jacks, queens), or check/folding if I didn't and the action became hostile, but I also thought that against standard LP opponents, my preflop cap, flop checkraise might work as a free card play. It only happens rarely, but when I show that I'm frequently going to checkraise, I do get people to check behind more often.

That being said, it's rare that I cap preflop and don't lead the turn, but I think I like it here. Still not 100% sure though.

Rob

cab4656
10-19-2004, 12:09 PM
It looks like CO missed the flop though. Who knows what MP2 has, but I think betting the turn has to be good. I'm have no idea what your equity here is since it's hard to put MP2 on a hand, but I think there's at least a 1 in 12 chance that you're ahead of CO and that MP2 was just making a weak flop call, intending to fold the turn.

Entity
10-19-2004, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It looks like CO missed the flop though. Who knows what MP2 has, but I think betting the turn has to be good. I'm have no idea what your equity here is since it's hard to put MP2 on a hand, but I think there's at least a 1 in 12 chance that you're ahead of CO and that MP2 was just making a weak flop call, intending to fold the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
What range of hands could CO have that I'm ahead of? Keep in mind, he's a standard party player, not a lag, etc. AQs is the only hand I can think of.

Rob

wabe
10-19-2004, 01:43 PM
CO plays like he has QQ and got scared by your preflop cap and flop raise. It looks like he rides things out hoping you don't have KK/AA.

Nick Royale
10-19-2004, 02:33 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
I'm have no idea what your equity here is since it's hard to put MP2 on a hand, but I think there's at least a 1 in 12 chance that you're ahead of CO and that MP2 was just making a weak flop call, intending to fold the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explanation required: Are these odds really relavant when deciding if you should raise? To bet for value, won't you have to have 1 to 2 of pot equity?

BellyBuster7
10-19-2004, 02:47 PM
Maybe I'm a LAG, but I fire a shot at the turn automatically here, CO has already slowed down because of your flop CR.

Entity
10-19-2004, 02:49 PM
Ok -- I've heard twice to fire at the turn here. Can people help me out with a range of hands that I achieve anything by firing at the turn here?

I'm thinking maybe my turn/river results are clouding the answers I'm getting, but I can't be sure.

Rob

BellyBuster7
10-19-2004, 03:01 PM
Your CR makes most people assume you have two pair or trips, probably trips here considering your preflop play. CO could very well have an underpair that he would fold to continued aggression. He also may have AK or AQ suited or not, which he may also fold. I think you have more to gain by staying aggressive than you do letting somebody with a 7 stay in for free and beat you with. If I'm either one of those guys, I probably fold to a turn bet unless I have a 9 or two /images/graemlins/diamond.gif or /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I may be way off, but that's my thinking.

cab4656
10-19-2004, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking maybe my turn/river results are clouding the answers I'm getting, but I can't be sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

The main thing I used to make my decision was that CO backed off when you check-raised. That screams overcards. I see people like CO fold to a turn bet here very often. Hopefully we can get MP2 to fold as well. I am sure that it will happen 1 in 12 times and be profitable.

helpmeout
10-19-2004, 06:14 PM
Bet the turn you have to follow it up, if they call then check the river unimproved.