PDA

View Full Version : Question on play in last months Party Million Dollar Guaranteed

DukeLeto
10-19-2004, 11:04 AM
Hi everyone,

This has been bugging me for a month now, guess Ill see what everyone thinks. Last month's Party Poker Million Dollar Guaranteed was my first "real money" tournament. I won the $640 seat in a $20 qualifer. 8 and 1/2 hours into the tournament, we are down from 1818 players to 16.

I am under the gun with about 110,000. The leader in the tournament is just over 300,000. The next turn we are moving to Level 22 with me taking a 30,000 big blind and 15,000 small blind. There are three slighter shorter stacks on my table and I am in about 10th place overall.

I am dealt a suited Ace Queen. I look at the blinds coming up, knowing i am assured of $8700 already (and the knowledge the wife will never complain about my poker playing again!!!)......, the prize money doesnt take a large increase until 9th place, 1st place is $218000, and decide to move all in under the gun.

My thinking was its a good hand, even if everyone folds, I will maintain my position throught the coming blinds, and if I get called a manage to double up, I will have a fair chance at winning 1st place. The big stack calls me and turns over A-T offsuit. A ten hits the board on the river and I finish 16th.

In retrospect, I could have made a small bet at this pot, taken the blinds, and probably moved up 2-4 spaces on the leader board before having to take another blind and being eliminated. However, if I had done so, I feel I would have had virtually no chance to win.

How would you have handled the A Q suited late in the tournament with a large prize at stake? Was it correct to take a stand there or just try to survive and hope for a stronger hand?

Thanks,
DukeLeto
dukeleto@bellsouth.net

illguitar
10-19-2004, 12:29 PM
It was correct. Nice going and congratulations. You were just unlucky to be out drawn by a dominated hand.

Huskiez
10-19-2004, 12:37 PM
Hey look, the move was folding. You can't lose what you don't put in the middle.

Haha, just kidding. The correct move is undoubtedly to raise all in. You got outdrawn. Whether I personally would do that or try to get a few more places, I'm not sure. I most likely though would push.

freemont
10-19-2004, 12:48 PM
Well played, you simply got unlucky. AQo is too good of a hand to pass up when your next trip through the blinds will cost you 40% of your stack... Pushing is a great way to freeze out (at least in theory) the hands like 88-JJ who maybe tempted to come over the top. The fact that the chipleader called you with AT is kind of insane (it was 1/3rd of his stack,) and you were unlucky to be sucked out on. You played it right though. Great job on finishing 16th!!

Shorty35
10-19-2004, 12:59 PM
Unquestionably the right move. Just bad luck. (if you can call an 8K win bad luck)....

Che
10-19-2004, 02:31 PM
DukeLeto-

[ QUOTE ]
i am assured of $8700 already (and the knowledge the wife will never complain about my poker playing again!!!)......,

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop dreaming, bro - $8700 isn't even close to getting THAT job done. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

But...congratulations on the great finish and making the correct play with AQs. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Later,
Che