PDA

View Full Version : Bad play or just bad luck?

TheDelChop
10-19-2004, 10:35 AM
Hello Guys,

I am fairly new to the 2+2 community but have been actively reading the analysis of other people's play and was wondering if a couple of you would care to comment on a play I made at a recent PP 50+5 NL HE MTT. It is early in the tourney (Blinds 25-50 w/ my stack still at 1000) and I am dealt AQh on the button. Everyone fold except for on guy in MP who limps. I raise to 3XBB(150), the SB folds, the BB calls and the man in MP folds. The flop is a rainbow, Ad, 10c, 3s. The BB checks to me and I make it 200 to go. The BB calls and the turn comes 7c. What do you do here? My play and the results are in white below.

<font color="white"> </font>
I bet yet again, now making it 300 to go and the BB calls again. I am now very worried about the situation. A Jh falls on the river and the BB checks. So flustered about the outcome of this seemingly in the bag hand I too check. The BB flips over Ad-7h to make two pair and beat me? Did I do something wrong here or is this just a bad suck out? <font color="white"> </font>

bigbambu14
10-19-2004, 11:22 AM
what was his stack size after he posted BB

fnurt
10-19-2004, 11:31 AM
You should have bet more on the turn, closer to the size of the pot. Imagine if you had let him tag along cheaply and the 7 had come on the river instead of the turn.

I agree with checking the river. Top pair is usually not worth a 3rd value bet in NL.

AceKQJT
10-19-2004, 11:56 AM
I would have raised to 200 preflop (because of the limper 3xBB + 50). I doubt that it would have made much difference here.

with a semi-coordinated flop (the A and T for broadway), I'm going to make a minimum pot-sized bet here. Your stack is T-800, and the pot is T-475. A pot sized bet will be &gt; 50% of your stack, so I'd probably just push. If he folds, you increase your stack by 50%. If he calls with a weaker A, that's great too. I wouldn't put him on a bigger ace with an open limp from MP, so i figure your hand is good.

With your T-150 raise pre-flop, the numbers only change slightly. Your stack is T-850 on the flop, and the pot is T-375. You might get away with a T-300 bet on the flop (leaving you with T-550), but what will you do if check-raised all-in? If you would call (and I think I would), then you are better off just pushing when it gets checked to you.

--Casey

-----------EDIT-----------
I agree with the river check