PDA

View Full Version : Worcester

Toro
10-19-2004, 09:54 AM
After the way McCarver tortured the pronounciation of Tanyan Sturze's and my hometown I thought it would be useful to post a little primer on the proper pronounciation of the the city in the heart of the Commonwealth. Who knows some day your boss may send you here for whatever reason and you can use this to avoid embarrassment.

McCarver pronounced it Wooster. Wrong, that city is somewhere in Ohio, I think. We also hear Worchester alot too but that's way off too. First thing, forget the r's. We just don't use them up here. Except on words that don't have them, like Tacoma. We say "Tacomer". That's so we don't waste all those r's.

Also forget the "c". Don't need it. Now this isn't perfect because it's virtually impossible to do it phonetically(you just have to live here for a long time to really get it), but if you say it like this, you'll get by:

Wustah

JinX11
10-19-2004, 10:01 AM
Now, that's interesting because I had a colleague from Worcester, who went to WPI and he always pronounced it "Wooster". Is this a tomayto-tomahto thing??

bosoxfan
10-19-2004, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
he always pronounced it "Wooster".

[/ QUOTE ]

There is definately no R. Like Toro said it ends in AH.

Toro
10-19-2004, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Now, that's interesting because I had a colleague from Worcester, who went to WPI and he always pronounced it "Wooster". Is this a tomayto-tomahto thing??

[/ QUOTE ]

I graduated from WPI as well. But I've lived here all my life. Was your colleague originally from Worcester?

BeerMoney
10-19-2004, 10:27 AM
Tewksbury: for those who live there:
Tooksbury, just like, I took her virginity.

For outsiders:
Tewwwwwksbury, where Tewwww= Too, The way bob Tewwwwwwwwksbury pronounces his name.

JinX11
10-19-2004, 10:28 AM
Hmm...not for sure, but I think so. We worked together down in Tampa for about 3 months back in 2000.

Now that I think about it, he probably did pronounce it Woostah.

BeerMoney
10-19-2004, 10:31 AM
Why does Tim McCarver insist on making the same point over and over and over and over again. I can't stand the friggen guy. Ya, if Posada let the bunt drop, he could have turned two with it. OK, we get the point, and, oh yeah, you never made a bad play in your entire life, right McCarver? They're out there trying to make bad plays, right? They're not trying their best or anything. Mistakes have nothing to do with the fact that the game is hard and requires split second decisions sometimes.

MMMMMM
10-19-2004, 10:41 AM
Not pronouncing the first "r" in Worcester is fine because Worcester is a proper name and that seems to be the way it has long been pronounced.

The typical Boston accent however is just plain wrong. Saying "idear" or "watah" are unjustifiable mispronunciations.

I grew up in the Boston suburbs, and even lived in Boston for a few years. My parents hailed from the Midwest, and I took phonics in the first and second grades. I never had the urge to so butcher the English language, and I strongly suspect that any first or second-grade Phonics student would seriously balk at the prospect of saying "idear" or "watah".

Also, although I hate to say it, the Boston accent sounds DUMB to everyone else. That's simply because it is. Not being able to properly pronounce trailing R's and A's without transposing them every time, in one's native language, is not exactly something to be proud of.

bosoxfan
10-19-2004, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not being able to properly pronounce trailing R's and A's without transposing them every time, in one's native language, is not exactly something to be proud of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lighten up.

MMMMMM
10-19-2004, 10:50 AM
The "orce" in "Worcester" (MA) is pronounced like the "oo" in took.

Leaving off the last "r" in Worcester is just a manifestation of the typically misguided Boston accent.

Lazymeatball
10-19-2004, 10:55 AM
I live one town over, but fortunately I don't have a Massachusetts accent. I pronounce the R at the end. So I say "Wusster." And if there's one thing more painful to listen to than a Boston accent, it's a Worcester accent.

JinX11
10-19-2004, 11:00 AM
Yeah, well, Yankees suck!

MMMMMM
10-19-2004, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially if they say "burl" instead of "boil".

JinX11
10-19-2004, 11:19 AM
I remember when I first flew into Logan. I asked the cabbie to take me to "Wal'-tham". He laughed out loud.

Toro
10-19-2004, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially if they say "burl" instead of "boil".

[/ QUOTE ]

And how is it that those New Yorkers say coffee? I can't even do it phonetically.

TheGrifter
10-19-2004, 11:22 AM
Paaaaaaaaaaawtucket....Paaaaaaaaaaaaaawtucket....

It's Ptucket goddamit...PTUCKET!!

Toro
10-19-2004, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Why does Tim McCarver insist on making the same point over and over and over and over again. I can't stand the friggen guy. Ya, if Posada let the bunt drop, he could have turned two with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

A little off topic but I was thinking about that play at the time and believe it would have been wrong to let it drop and here's why. Because that ball was bunted, it had a lot of spin on it. If he allowed it to drop, it wouldn't have just laid there like a wounded duck. It could have spun away and making it real hard to turn 2 and there would have been a real possiblity of screwing the play up totally where they end up getting no one.

daryn
10-19-2004, 02:21 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Also, although I hate to say it, the Boston accent sounds DUMB to everyone else. That's simply because it is. Not being able to properly pronounce trailing R's and A's without transposing them every time, in one's native language, is not exactly something to be proud of.

[/ QUOTE ]

what about how they sound over in merry old england? after all that is where English comes from, just in case you forgot.

blendedsuit
10-19-2004, 06:51 PM
Wore-chest-err/War-chest-er

Iplaydrunk
10-19-2004, 07:55 PM
Ever been through Leo-Minster?

Toro
10-19-2004, 08:02 PM
Of course, my daughter lives there!

Toro
10-19-2004, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wore-chest-err/War-chest-er

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't.

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-19-2004, 10:02 PM
Wustah's easy, it's those 'ham towns that can get you. I mean, why is Wareham pronounced "Where Ham" but Hingham is "Hing Um"?

cnfuzzd
10-19-2004, 11:57 PM
i love this forum...

peace

john nickle

AncientPC
10-20-2004, 03:58 AM
Am I the only person who saw the thread title and thought, "worcestershire sauce"?

youtalkfunny
10-20-2004, 04:00 AM
I grew up in Methuen (meh-THOO-en), which is next to Haverhill (HAYV-rill).

We always called it "WHIST-uh".

(My first job in Vegas was in a race/sports book. One of the writers once scolded me, "Bobby, I don't mind when you drop an 'r' from 'Cald-uh' or 'Flag-luh'. But it drives me nuts when you ADD and 'r' to 'Saratog-er' and 'Sant-er Anit-er'!!!")

Toro
10-20-2004, 08:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I grew up in Methuen (meh-THOO-en), which is next to Haverhill (HAYV-rill).

We always called it "WHIST-uh".

(My first job in Vegas was in a race/sports book. One of the writers once scolded me, "Bobby, I don't mind when you drop an 'r' from 'Cald-uh' or 'Flag-luh'. But it drives me nuts when you ADD and 'r' to 'Saratog-er' and 'Sant-er Anit-er'!!!")

[/ QUOTE ]

Whist-ah is an acceptable dialect version.