PDA

View Full Version : I need more aggression in my game

therockofgibraltar
10-19-2004, 09:35 AM
When I look my PT post-flop aggression stats I find that I'm below that 1.5 so I'm passive.

And indeed I'm. I just "have not learned" to push those chips out there. And when I do push I usually lose! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

For example this hand. SHould I reraise the turn and bet the river even if I suspect that he has trip tens?
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+2 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (17 SB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (12.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (16.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 16.50 BB

Here is a hand just after that. Now I tried to be more aggressive.
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, CO calls.

River: (8.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

btspider
10-19-2004, 10:10 AM
Hand 1. This is fine. The river action makes it look like QQ. His turn check-raise is a bit odd. If he has QQ, he should be getting worried about AA/KK. If he has AA, he's getting too fancy.

Hand 2. Fold the flop. Preflop is marginal, but alright without a read. I'm not sure what line on the turn is best. Any opinions out there? I'm almost thinking check-call the turn and then bet the river.. picking up the way ahead/behind line mid-game.

Fiddler
10-19-2004, 10:25 AM
Surley AJs isn't a marginal hand against a limper and a late postion raise? I think it is an easy pre-flop call or even 3-bet to try and get heads-up.

About the turn check-raise... well since CO didn't 3-bet I like it... /images/graemlins/wink.gif But I think I would play it like you check-call and bet the river.

btspider
10-19-2004, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Surley AJs isn't a marginal hand against a limper and a late postion raise? I think it is an easy pre-flop call or even 3-bet to try and get heads-up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I overuse the word marginal. I wouldn't fold this, but I'm not elated to be in this situation. I'm not going to try to win this pot unimproved without a read since I think I'm behind more often than not when I miss the flop. I would 3-bet with a read, but I don't without. Anyone else have insight here?

Quercus
10-19-2004, 10:50 AM
Hand 1 is fine, though the turn check-raise is strongly advertsiting AA or TT. His check to the river A makes TT the more likely.

Given the preflop and flop action, you have to call down unless you spike a K on the river.

Hand 2:
How I play this hand is very dependant on my read of the raiser. If I know him to be aggressive postflop, I play the hand the way you did.

If I know or believe him to be passive postflop, I bet the flop to put pressure on him. There are a lot of hands he could be holding, of which a great number are overcards which missed.

Quercus
10-19-2004, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else have insight here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know that I would be so quick to assume we're behind. There are a fair number of hands that justify a CO raise with a single limper that we're ahead of.

For me, its all about my read on villain. If he's aggressive, betting the flop isn't going to accomplish much, because he's going to raise us with almost any two reasonable cards he could have, putting us on the defensive for the whole hand.

If he's passive, however, he'll only respond to our bet with a raise if he really likes his hand.

therockofgibraltar
10-19-2004, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the comments! Just thought that you would like to know the results.

HAND1:
He had 8c7c so he was playing his flushdraw very aggressively!

HAND2:
He had three of a kind, sevens

GrunchCan
10-19-2004, 12:30 PM
HAND1:
He had 8c7c so he was playing his flushdraw very aggressively!

Honestly, I like the way your opponent played his hand. He had a straight-flush draw with 15 outs to the winner. With the turn 8, he added another with a set draw. I'm not sure I agree with his check-raise in that spot, but depending on his read of you, I might. It would have to be a solid read though. I'd want you to fold to the check-raise. I surely don't think he shoukld have checked behind on the river. Clearly you could beat a pair of 8s. Only a bluff is going to win that pot, and I would have bet again on the river.

By the way, if he had bet on the river, what would you have done?

therockofgibraltar
10-19-2004, 12:38 PM
"By the way, if he had bet on the river, what would you have done?"

I would have called in this big pot. Is this right?

And you are right, he sure had outs!

GrunchCan
10-19-2004, 12:49 PM
Right, dont fold to a single bet on the end in a big pot if you have a chance to win it.