PDA

View Full Version : Good limit player needs help here

stlip
10-19-2004, 08:01 AM
I'm fascinated and frustrated by the differences in the limit and NL game. I can't tell here if I made the mistake, villain, everyone or maybe not anyone this time and someone had to lose the hand.

I'm in the BB with a short stack and it's the last hand before the blind increases again.

PP 10+1
Level:2 Blinds(15/30)
Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 7
Seat 3( $480 )
Seat 4: Villain ( $920 )
Seat 6: Hero ( $385 )
Seat 10: ( $1170 )
Seat 7: ( $1665 )
Seat 1: ( $1380 )
Seat 2: ( $2000 )

Dealt to Hero [ 3d 6s ]

1 folds, player 7 calls [30], 3 folds, villain completes, Hero checks.

** Dealing Flop ** [ 7d, 5h, 8h ]
Villain checks.
Hero is all-In.
Player 7 folds.
Villain calls [355].
** Dealing Turn ** [ Js ]
** Dealing River ** [ Qd ]
Villain shows [ As, 6c ]

ReDeYES88
10-19-2004, 08:33 AM
not the time to push, IMO.. .. not on an OESD with only t60 in the middle. yeah, the blinds are about to jump, but even at 25/50 they aren't incredibly high. you will only have to pay t75 to see 12 more hands. plenty of opportunity to double or triple up, if you ask me.

i'd wait.

stlip
10-19-2004, 09:18 AM
I wasn't so much in love with the OESD as my push opportunity. I just didn't see how that board could make anyone else want to call that pot.

My thinking was that the draw gave me a small amount of insurance that if there was a call I might even survive that.

Cleveland Guy
10-19-2004, 09:46 AM
Your push is risky. I don't hate it, but I'm not in love with it either. - even the 90 chips in the pot help you here, and if you get called you figure you still have 8 outs.

His call is terrible. A high with a straight draw. If he wins - he is only up to average stack, if he loses he now becomes the short stack. I wouldn't be calling an all in here on that.

stlip
11-08-2004, 03:51 AM
Well, after stinking up the joint in my first 30-35 or so 10+1 SNGs, which left me in the money only 24 percent of the time and more than $100 loser, I have since put together a string of more than 30 tournaments with a 44 percent ITM. For my 70 total tournaments I am +$1 -- LOL.

Thanks for the help here because it is night and day now how much I can see of what is going on and where my opportunities are.

jcm4ccc
11-08-2004, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm in the BB with a short stack

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the problem, that you're the short stack. Everybody knows that you are trying to double up and may go all-in with less than a good hand (which is what you did). So almost certainly one of the two people yet to bet was going to call your all-in.

Your bet smacks of desperation (would you have gone all-in if you had 1000 chips?), and you weren't in a desperate spot yet. The blinds are still small, there are still seven people in the game and so the blinds won't hit you that often.

The fact that people will call the all-in of the short stack with a less than good hand can work to your advantage. Be a bit more patient (you can see at least another 12 hands before you are desperate--the blinds will only hit you once in the next twelve hands) and wait for something like an A with a decent kicker, or a pair (a hand that you can win without improving). Go all-in preflop. Somebody is bound to call you, and you will probably be the favorite.

On average, you will get one of the following hands once every 8.5 deals: A9, AT, AJ, AQ, AK, 22, 33, 44, 55, 66, 77, 88, 99, TT, JJ, QQ, KK, AA.

When I make this play, I am often getting called by an A with a smaller kicker (which makes you a better than 2:1 favorite), or a KQ, KJ, KT (which makes you a 3:2 favorite).

If you don't hit one of those hands, go all-in anyway, when you finally feel like you don't have a choice. You will often get lucky. But you're not at that point yet.

If someone goes all-in before you, don't call their bet unless you have a premium hand. Otherwise you are probably even money at best. You want to be the one making the decision as to when you are going to take your stand.

Don't limp into any pot. You don't have that luxury anymore. If it's good enough to limp, it's good enough to go all-in.

Also, why are you so low in chips this early in the tournament? Was it one bad hand? Or did you get involved in two or three hands that you shouldn't have? If it's the latter, perhaps patience in every part of your game will help.