PDA

View Full Version : turn raise against obvious overpair

TStoneMBD
10-19-2004, 04:06 AM
10/20 B&M game. SB is an ABC player who appears to be playing winning TAG poker.

Hero is CO with JQs

Folds to MP3 who limps
Hero limps
Button limps
SB raises
BB calls
Everyone calls

Flop: Jh8h3s
SB bets
BB folds
MP3 calls
Hero raises
Button folds
SB reraises
MP3 folds
Hero calls

Turn: 9c
SB bets
Hero raises
SB calls

River: 2
Check Check

PapaDeuce
10-19-2004, 09:09 AM
if mp3 opened limped and you're next to act you probably should've considered raising with your hand.

other than that i like the way the hand was played.

elysium
10-19-2004, 10:50 AM
hi ts

you can fold on the turn or call it down. raising isn't a great idea.

Blake Lovely
10-19-2004, 12:32 PM
If he calls it down he looses the same number of bets as if he raises and checks the river through. However, if he hits his 2 pair or trips on the river then he wins 1 more BB by betting the river instead of checking through. If you are sure you wont get 3 bet and that he wont lead the river, then the turn raise is perfect. It mostly depends on how easy the other player is to control, and your read.

Folding is not really an option here. You are getting 9.5 to 1, and you have 9 outs against an over pair ( thus your 5-1) if you are 100% certain he has an overpair the call is easy.

The reason for the raise must include the possibility that he has a flush draw or a lower pocket pair. If he misses his flush draw he wont call 1 on the river so you gain a bet with your turn raise.

In this situation, I would just call the turn. Hoping he would bet into me if I hit 2 pair,trips or the straighton the river and I could raise then.