PDA

View Full Version : Set on flush board raises... advice please...

GlemZurg
10-19-2004, 03:49 AM
I'm not sure why I called the reraise on the flop. I figure that I should have either folded or gone all-in.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed)

MP3 ($23.81)
CO ($2.80)
Button ($2.20)
SB ($11.12)
GlemZurg ($10.65)
UTG ($20.94)
UTG+1 ($10.00)
MP1 ($9.90)
MP2 ($11.07)

Preflop: GlemZurg is BB with 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.05. UTG+1 posts a blind of $0.10.
UTG calls $0.10, UTG+1 (poster) checks, MP1 calls $0.10, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls $0.10, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0.10, SB (poster) completes, GlemZurg checks.

Flop: ($0.70) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">GlemZurg bets $1</font>, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $2</font>, MP1 calls $2, MP3 folds, Button folds, SB folds, GlemZurg calls $1.

Turn: ($6.70) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
GlemZurg checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets $2</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises to $4</font>, GlemZurg folds

Pogue
10-19-2004, 05:13 AM
Hmmm.. I think a case can be made here for a checkraise on the flop. UTG+1 could easily have the bare A /images/graemlins/club.gif or K /images/graemlins/club.gif here, and semibluffing. That way, he probably bets $1 and either folds to or calls your raise. If he reraises you, then you can probably fold and not lose any sleep over it. Being out of position does give you "the right of first bluff" on a board like this. By going the checkraising route, you lose the same amount of money, but with the additiional equity of your opponent possibly folding.

If he has the hand, he will either reraise you on the flop or call, trying to trap you on the turn/river. Again, with the reraise you can release. With the call, you get a chance to catch a card to fill up. You then check the turn if a blank falls, and make a decision from there on whether the pot is offering you odds to draw for the full. On the turn, if he does not have it, he may make a small bet still trying to get you off your hand. If he does have a real hand, he may try to "milk" you with a similar small bet. This may give you proper odds to fill up.

All of this assumes you are not playing with stone maniacs, of course. Which is likely NOT the case at the limit you are playing.

Pogue

GlemZurg
10-20-2004, 02:34 AM
Thanks. I don't check raise here much. I'll ponder this a bit.

Justin

schwah
10-20-2004, 05:28 AM
its a multiway unraised pot. this means that a) there's not much money to win and b) its quite possible that someone has a made flush.

i recommend playing it very carefully and being willing to give up without commiting much more money.

of course if you are pretty sure someone with a flush will pay you off if you fill up, you should be a little more willing to put some money in... but not much more