PDA

View Full Version : My Dad's 85th Birthday Party

andyfox
10-19-2004, 01:52 AM
Originally he wanted to have it at our house. But then he told me there would be 150 people. So we changed it to a restaurant.

Many of the guests were his age. About an hour into it, I saw one of them lying on the bench outside the place. His wife had placed her purse underneath his head as a pillow. I went out and asked if everything was OK. Oh yes, not to worry, he's just resting.

My dad had angioplasty (2 stents) last week Tuesday, and then had a pacemaker installed on Thursday. And came to his party on Sunday. Amazing.

I emceed, and was at my Borscht Belt best. (If I do say so myself.) My sister forgot her glasses and couldn't read her speech. She tried though. Suffice to say it was not her best moment.

I trimmed my dad's speech because I didn't think he could get through it emotionally, but even in the shortened version, he broke down in the middle. He lost his best friend of fifty-seven years last year and I know how much he misses my mom. (Perhaps, too, the drugs they use for the surgeries, and the medications they give you after, make you super-emotional; at least I felt that after my back surgery a couple years ago.)

Anyway, it was a touching moment. He recovered and out came the cake and the eighty five (or so) candles and it was wonderful and magical and thrilling. I joke sometimes, at difficult times, about next time not having any parents or children, but you sit at a table at something like this with your sons and your daughter and your wife and your father and you count your blessings.

Each and every one.

Zeno
10-19-2004, 02:12 AM
That was a wonderful post. Hope your father has at least a few more hearty birthdays.

My dad had a heart attack just over 3 years ago and has to take a fistfull of pills every day. He had a heart monitor placed in his shoulder just last year. It gives a jolt if his heart starts acting up or goes out of rythum but so far that has not occurred.

Your recounting of the celebration remainded me of my parents 50th wedding anniversary in 1998 which was a large gathering and meeting of many relatives. A loving family is a most precious thing.

astroglide
10-19-2004, 02:14 AM
i really liked the post minus the "each and every one" line. i hope he's happy for the rest.

Lawrence Ng
10-19-2004, 08:23 AM
I sincerely wish you many more years with your father.

Toro
10-19-2004, 08:28 AM
Happy Birthday to your dad, Andy. We're having my dad's 85th Birthday party a week from Sunday!

nolanfan34
10-19-2004, 11:15 AM
Great post Andy! Best wishes to your father and his health.

CCass
10-19-2004, 11:45 AM
Andy, best wishes to you and your father.

Several years ago, we had a surprise birthday party for my mother for her 50th birthday. Nice restaurant, friends/family, the whole works. Part of the party was a video montage of pictures taken throughout my mother's life. Many of the pictures included my maternal grandfather who we had recently lost. I couldn't watch the video, as I was overcome with emotion seeing my grandfather. He practically raised me (when I was young, he was retired, so during the summer I spent my days with him on our farm), and we were very close. I missed him then, and still miss him to this day.

Cherish every moment you have with your loved ones, they won't be around forever.

andyfox
10-19-2004, 12:28 PM
Congratulations! Enjoy!