PDA

View Full Version : Astros starting Munro in game 6.

Clarkmeister
10-19-2004, 01:23 AM
Inside scoop from the Cardinals beat writer on a St. Louis message board. Dude is like never wrong.

I think it's a big mistake for Houston. If it works, it's genius, as it sets them up for the Series, but if it doesn't, you really don't want to go down without your best two guys pitching both games.

All I know is that as a Cardinal fan, I'm glad to see Munro in game 6 and that alone makes me think it must be the wrong move.

GuyOnTilt
10-19-2004, 01:26 AM
I have a hard time believing anything you post anymore. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

GoT

Sooga
10-19-2004, 01:29 AM
Yea Clarky was an Angels fan in 2002, and a Cards fan this year... and he'll be frontrunning again next season. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Clarkmeister
10-19-2004, 01:31 AM
So if your team doesn't make the World Series, you just watch and don't root for anyone?

Sooga
10-19-2004, 01:33 AM
Eh, basically. Unless the Dodgers are in the World Series, then I'll be rooting for whatever team they're playing against. My Halos didn't make it, so baseball doesn't really all mean that much to me for 2004. I mean, I watched tonight's games (which were fantastic), but I didn't really have an interest in either team.

Clarkmeister
10-19-2004, 01:36 AM
Wow, that sucks. Why not read a book or something? I can't remember ever watching a sporting event where I didn't root for one of the two teams, even if I hated them both.

Sooga
10-19-2004, 01:38 AM
Will you back a team enough to put an exorbitant wager of say, $100 on it? Cuz I heard you don't have those kinda balls.

ThaSaltCracka
10-19-2004, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, that sucks. Why not read a book or something? I can't remember ever watching a sporting event where I didn't root for one of the two teams, even if I hated them both.

[/ QUOTE ]
Me too, that is the essence of being a fan of the sport.

Sooga
10-19-2004, 01:40 AM
You're saying that I can't watch a good game simply to watch a good game? I have to be behind a team to enjoy it? Like, tonight's Astros game was just a fantastic game, I really wouldn't have cared who won, but either way it would have been a great game, and I would have greatly enjoyed it.

Nate tha' Great
10-19-2004, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So if your team doesn't make the World Series, you just watch and don't root for anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just a silly semantic question. "Rooting for" does not equal "being a fan of".

What's funny though is that sometimes I won't even know who I'm rooting for until the series starts. I keenly remember *thinking* that I'd be rooting for the Jazz in the 1998 finals (I live in Chicago now, but grew up a Pistons fan) but could not help but pull for Jordan & Co by the end.

I *think* that my rooting heirarchy for the WS is as follows
1. Astros
2. Red Sox
3. Cardinals
4. Yankees

The Red Sox are the real wild card here, and can wind up anywhere from #1 to #3 on a given night. Being a Cubs fan and all, I also can't completely discount the possibility of rooting for the Yankees over the Cardinals.

Clarkmeister
10-19-2004, 01:54 AM
"Being a Cubs fan and all, I also can't completely discount the possibility of rooting for the Yankees over the Cardinals. "

So would that mean you were on the Yankee bandwagon?

Of course not, that was my point.

mikeyvegas
10-19-2004, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(I live in Chicago now, but grew up a Pistons fan) but could not help but pull for Jordan & Co by the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

You lose major points as a Piston fan(if you still are) for this statment. sad, sad, sad...

Nate tha' Great
10-19-2004, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(I live in Chicago now, but grew up a Pistons fan) but could not help but pull for Jordan & Co by the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

You lose major points as a Piston fan(if you still are) for this statment. sad, sad, sad...

[/ QUOTE ]

On the contrary, I think it's a pretty good illustration of just how incredibly annoying the Stockton-Malone Jazz squads were.

tj00
10-19-2004, 02:05 AM
Sorry to put the thread back on topic. I like the move, I think it increases our chances of winning it all. The cardinal hitters finally looked human tonight and Morris is capable of getting shelled. Another good sign, Wheeler looked good out of the pen in game 4. So we might get some middle releif that will not melt down.

If the goal were just winning the NLCS going with Munro would not be my choice.

Michael Davis
10-19-2004, 02:09 AM
"If the goal were just winning the NLCS going with Munro would not be my choice."

Essentially, I think this is the goal. I don't think you should even consider World Series possibilities until after you have won the NLCS. Since you either win or go home, there a bunch of times where the gas saved in the tank will be wasted. Don't waste gas, it costs too much.

-Michael

mikeyvegas
10-19-2004, 03:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On the contrary, I think it's a pretty good illustration of just how incredibly annoying the Stockton-Malone Jazz squads were.

[/ QUOTE ]

In those two series between the bulls/jazz, a true piston fan would have completely ignored the NBA finals and concentrated on Red Wings and their back to back run.

I'll never forgive Malone for that elbow he threw against Isiah. F-ing truck driving A-hole!

sublime
10-19-2004, 03:44 AM

Annoying?

I think "dirty" is the word you were looking for. Although some of those Detroit teams were pretty ahem "physical"

DCIAce
10-19-2004, 03:55 AM
This seems like a horrible decision, unless Clemens said that he'd need an extra day to be fully ready to go.

sublime
10-19-2004, 04:02 AM
I'll never forgive Malone for that elbow he threw against Isiah. F-ing truck driving A-hole!

I never liked him, Stockton was a dirty little prick himself.

MrGo
10-19-2004, 08:41 AM
I think starting Munro is a must move here. He pitched decent in game 2. Clemens didn't look too hot on Saturday and he'd only look worse on short rest.

If Houston loses game 6, they have their ace for game 7. If they win game 6, they have their rotation set for the world series.

This tells me that Houston isn't only thinking to win the NLCS - they have bigger plans than that and that's great to see.

cjromero
10-19-2004, 09:02 AM
The decision on the Game 6 starter will be made today on the plane ride to St. Louis, but it may not be announced until tomorrow.

FWIW, I think starting Munro in Game 6 is clearly the way to go. First, he pitched very well in his start in Game 2. Second, Clemens threw over 120 pitches on Saturday, and he clearly didn't bounce back well in the NLDS when he had to start Game 4 on 3 days rest. If Garner had that decision to do over again, I think he would have started Munro in Game 4, and let Clemens pitch on full rest in Game 5 if necessary. The other thing to consider is that Oswalt looks fatigued as well, so they would have to bring Oswalt back on 3 days rest in Game 7 if Clemens lost Game 6.

It may prove to be wrong, but Munro at least gives them a chance to win Game 6, especially if Morris doesn't step up his own game. If they lose Game 6, they have Clemens on the mound for Game 7. Would anyone in here actually bet against Clemens on full rest in a Game 7 when he will be facing a solid but unspectacular Jeff Suppan?

MrGo
10-19-2004, 12:28 PM
Tavarez suffers broken hand by acting like a baby:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2004/news/story?id=1904707