PDA

View Full Version : Why My Hair is Starting to Thin

fsuplayer
10-19-2004, 01:23 AM
MY DAY at 10/20 6 Max:

AM session after skipping a worthless class:
750 hands
+$2,650 /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

go to cool clothing store, almost buy bad-assed leather motorcycle type jacket

PM session after working out:
500 hands
-$1,100 /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Midnight session before bed:
450 hands
-$1,250 /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

pat myself on back for my OUTstanding play and even better move of not buying aforementioned jacket.

totals: +$300 for 1700 hands. slightly less than 1BB/100. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

now where is that dog of mine....? /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

joker122
10-19-2004, 01:30 AM
I can't even log a winning session at 10/20. Everytime I play I lose ~$300 and go back to 5/10. I don't know what to do because I am crushing 5/10 at ~2.5BB/100 (and 3.5BB/100 in the last 15k hands) but get spanked everytime I try to step up. I can't figure it out because the game almost seems softer.

fsuplayer
10-19-2004, 01:41 AM
the games are just much different.

the 10/20's are just so over aggressive sometimes.

the av'g bad player in the 10/20 is much more agg. than the av'g bad player at 5/10, which makes them great opponents, if you can stand the variance. sometimes i almost cant. but the good days (err...sessions /images/graemlins/tongue.gif) make it all balance out.

i still need to call down much more HU with ace high type hands. i still feel like i am getting pushed around some.

good luck on your next jump.

fwiw: after a little more than 25k hands at each game, my win rate is very similar between the two. i feel like the game is tougher, but that my game has also improved. I still need more hands to get in the long run though, as one great/terrible session is shifting my win rate 2-3 tenths of a BB/100.

fsuplayer

joker122
10-19-2004, 01:44 AM
A hand from tonight where I tried to adjust to the aggression:

I open AKo on the button and BB calls.

Flop: 234r

Bet, raise, call.

Turn: 8r

Bet, call.

River: J

Bet, call.

I lose to J8o.

At 5/10 I'd usually fold the turn...

Scotch78
10-19-2004, 01:46 AM
Story time . . . my brother and I get into this super-fishy NL home tourney that pays 3 places. It's the two of us and one Nemo every week, with this week's lucky contestant (let's call him Ariel) being incredibly weak, probably the worst player at the table. He hasn't gotten that lucky though, he actually earned his way into the money; most of the players in this game bluff way too much and Ariel calls way too much. Anyhow, my brother realizes how weak Ariel is and tries to bully him because that's what he thinks better NL players are supposed to do to worse ones. So it's quickly down to me and Ariel and I just check-fold until I have at least top pair, then bet way more than I normally would because this guy will call double pot-size bets on every street with bottom pair.

Aesop says . . . maybe the $10-$20 game is just weak in different ways.

Scott

fsuplayer
10-19-2004, 01:50 AM
i would play it the same way, and for the exact reason of the hand you got shown at the showdown.

a hand from tonight:

I raise AQo from MP. BB (nothing special) calls.
flop:K99r
he leads out. funny thought he would CR a king and slowplay a nine.
i raise he calls.

turn:J he leads out again. i call, not sure what i will do on a blank river.

river: Q
he bets again. i close my eyes and call.

i beat his Q7o.

there are times where i call turn CRs with just AK or a small pair just to get shown a no pair hand that rivered his 9 to take mine down. Explanation of the crazy Variance at this level.

NLSoldier
10-19-2004, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't even log a winning session at 10/20. Everytime I play I lose ~$300 and go back to 5/10. I don't know what to do because I am crushing 5/10 at ~2.5BB/100 (and 3.5BB/100 in the last 15k hands) but get spanked everytime I try to step up. I can't figure it out because the game almost seems softer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have to be willing to give it a little more of a shot than that...300 bucks is only 15BB. I would also suggest mining tons of 10/20 HHs when you are not playing. Thats what i did for like 2 weeks and now i can consitently have 3-4 notes per table right when i sit down, even though ive only actually played a few thousand hands at the limit.

imitation
10-19-2004, 02:37 AM
Am I crazy, I would have raised the river here....

balkii
10-19-2004, 03:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A hand from tonight where I tried to adjust to the aggression:

I open AKo on the button and BB calls.

Flop: 234r

Bet, raise, call.

Turn: 8r

Bet, call.

River: J

Bet, call.

I lose to J8o.

At 5/10 I'd usually fold the turn...

[/ QUOTE ]

fold the turn getting 5:1 (plus implied odds) with up to 10 outs plus the possibility of holding the best hand? that cant be right

joker122
10-19-2004, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
fold the turn getting 5:1 (plus implied odds) with up to 10 outs plus the possibility of holding the best hand? that cant be right

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't consider my gutshot here. I would have folded the turn without it though since overcards are a 7.6:1 shot.

Inthacup
10-19-2004, 10:44 AM
Play longer sessions.

Cup

fsuplayer
10-19-2004, 10:49 AM
Play longer sessions.

a combination of boredom, and a young puppy at home refrain me from doing this.

just curious though, why ?