PDA

View Full Version : Not the desired results for Clarkmeister and me

andyfox
10-19-2004, 12:14 AM
But if you like baseball, you gotta love both Championship Series games tonight. Electrifying baseball.

Clarkmeister
10-19-2004, 12:19 AM
To repeat from another post, never underestimate TLR's fucko factor.

I seriously hope we get rid of him ala Baker. He's a free agent this year, let him go and give Jim Tracy a fat contract, you know the Dodgers won't.

andyfox
10-19-2004, 12:35 AM
Hey, I think Torre screwed up both last night and tonight.

Supposedly the Dodgers are happy with Tracy and will sign him. But who knows, LaRussa has greater marquis [sic] appeal; maybe they'll end up trading places.

Clarkmeister
10-19-2004, 12:42 AM
I've read they'll give Tracy a smallish 2-year deal. We could give him 3 or 4 at a real rate.

Another reason to get rid of TLR is to get rid of Duncan. We have a lot of young arms to develop and it's been.....forever......since Duncan developed a young pitcher. He's great at rehabbing the old guys, but we need him to be good with the young guys right now.

I liked Torre bringing in Rivera for 2 innings yesterday. I wasn't as wild about his bullpen management today though.

All I know is that anyone who intentionally walks a guy with 2 strikes on him, especially with an ump who has a totally random strike zone, is a moron and deserves immediate termination.

It's irrelevant, I think TLR is Jocketty's guy for whatever reason. As long as we don't lose Jocketty, he's the stone cold nuts.

andyfox
10-19-2004, 12:51 AM
I thought it was a mistake as soon as Rivera came in yesterday. You've been successful all year with Gordon in the 8th and Rivera in the 9th. If Gordon gets in trouble, then you go with Rivera (like he had to in the 8th tonight). He brought Gordon in for no good reason in the 7th tonight. The Yankee pitchers are just walking too many guys at key moments. But give the Sox credit, they're a bunch of good hitters.

Yeah, Duncan comes with TLR. The only catcher to become a pitching coach. An intentional walk with two strikes is indeed a crime against humanity.

BTW, doesn't look like I'm coming out this weekend. Hopefully I'll be watching the Yankees and Cards in the Series. But things are getting kinda shaky. If Boston wins tomorrow, who'll start for the Yankees on Wednesday? Kevin Brown? Feh. They'll probably be forced to go with Vasquez.

Everyone's been calling me a worrywort all year. But I think the Yankees could make history this week. And not the good kind. The nail is fighting back. Someone (can't remember who, but a Yankee fan) told me early in the year that Gordon would be great all year and then fail in the clutch in the post-season. Right on the mark.

Clarkmeister
10-19-2004, 12:56 AM
Don't worry Andy, the nail always loses. It's what nails do.

Unfortunately, this isn't the first time that TLR has taken a prohibitive favorite in the postseason and potentially blown it.

That said, we have been untouchable at home so far this postseason. I still think we've got a great chance.

JimRivett
10-19-2004, 01:12 AM
Shouldn't it be Clarkmeister and I? Not I, Jim, but I, Andy, if you know what I mean.

And yes, I'm really enjoying the playoffs, very exciting stuff.

Jim

Sooga
10-19-2004, 01:15 AM
no, it's 'me'.... like saying 'not the desired results for me' or 'not the desired results for I'... adding Clarkmeister into it shouldn't change it... I think.

andyfox
10-19-2004, 01:16 AM
"Shouldn't it be Clarkmeister and I?"

That is the kind of criticism up with which I will not put.

andyfox
10-19-2004, 01:18 AM
The bells are ringing,
For I and my gal.

Jim's wrong. And he's an Englishman. But I love him anyway.

JimRivett
10-19-2004, 01:18 AM
In American english, it may be me, however in English english it's definitely I.

Jim

andyfox
10-19-2004, 01:21 AM
OK, so when I'm talking about disappointing cricket results, I'll say it was not good for Lord Clarkmeister and I.

shemp
10-19-2004, 01:22 AM
No dawg. It's that whole objective case thingy. Same in both languages, whether differing in the idioms or not.

PS Who is this Clarmeister person I keep hearing about, and did he really fan on a bet like a humungous pussy?

Sooga
10-19-2004, 01:23 AM
Ho ho! Well done! Jolly good!

mikech
10-19-2004, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Shouldn't it be Clarkmeister and I? Not I, Jim, but I, Andy, if you know what I mean.

And yes, I'm really enjoying the playoffs, very exciting stuff.

Jim

[/ QUOTE ]
Here's an easy way to check this grammar problem, just take out the other person's name: "Not the desired results for ... me" vs. "Not the desired results for ... I"; looks like Andy got it right.

A lot of people think "so-and-so and I" is always the right construction, and they end up saying things such as, "Here's a picture of my wife and I on vacation in Thailand" when in fact it ought to be "a picture of my wife and me." Again, just take out the other person and you'll hear how jarring it would sound: "Here's a picture of I on vacation in Thailand."

Ulysses
10-19-2004, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In American english, it may be me, however in English english it's definitely I.

[/ QUOTE ]

(Clarkmeister and) I did not get the desired results.
Not the desired results for (Clarkmeister and) me.

The Dude
10-19-2004, 01:34 AM
El Diablo strikes again! Ole!

andyfox
10-19-2004, 01:37 AM
You've hijacked this thread and turned it into a friggin' grammar lesson.

The Dude
10-19-2004, 01:38 AM
You just accused yourself of hijacking your own thread.

shemp
10-19-2004, 01:38 AM
Well, there's still that alleged nasty unsubstantiated rumour about clark being a bitch.

andyfox
10-19-2004, 01:40 AM
I don't think so, but what do I know, I'm crazy worrying about the Yankees. I think I'm going to have a coronary embolism tomorrow.

JimRivett
10-19-2004, 01:46 AM
Was there a baseball game played tonight?

Sorry about your thread Andy.

Jim

andyfox
10-19-2004, 01:54 AM
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just sent you an email.

Uston
10-19-2004, 01:58 AM
the nail always loses. It's what nails do.

The only difference between the Sox and Cards is that in the LCS, the Cards get hit with a different hammer every few years.

Clarkmeister
10-19-2004, 02:03 AM
No, the difference is that from time to time the Cards actually win it all. Boston fans are the only ones in the world that think nearly 100 years of losing gives them a right to be arrogant.

It was much quieter without the Sox fans the last few days, where were you all when your team was lying down Bob Knight style? Almost enough to make me root for the Yankees, I tell ya. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Phat Mack
10-19-2004, 04:30 AM
That is the kind of criticism up with which I will not put.

My only wish is that John Cole wanders by and sees the above sentence. Andy, you have made all 2+2ers proud!

goofball
10-19-2004, 04:46 AM
almost but not quite

Toro
10-19-2004, 08:26 AM
Andy, why does Torre keep pitching to Ortiz? He's the only one beating you guys.

andyfox
10-19-2004, 12:31 PM
The only one who's handled him well is Rivera. We have no lefty other than Heredia, and he's terrible. And we have no fireballers to pitch him up and in (other than Rivera).

Last night he was the lead-off hitter in the 8th. You can't walk him. And in the 14th there were men on 1st and 3rd. You can't load the bases.

danderso8
10-21-2004, 05:16 PM
Shouldn't that be "Me love him anyway?" /images/graemlins/smile.gif

maryfield48
10-21-2004, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't that be "Me love you looong time"?

ThaSaltCracka
10-21-2004, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't that be "Me love you looong time"?

[/ QUOTE ]
Shouldn't that be "Me sucky sucky for five dollah"?