PDA

View Full Version : Top Two Pair - KQ - but three hearts?

digdeep
10-18-2004, 11:32 PM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (7 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (16 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 20 BB

Nice to see the K on the turn, but should I take heed to it being a heart? What about BB's check on the river? I sure didn't expect to him check his flush? Please comment on the hand - turn and river play particularly?

JDErickson
10-18-2004, 11:43 PM
hmm

I think I ck through the river. His check on river smells to high heaven

Aaron W.
10-19-2004, 02:36 AM
You should be concerned with the heart on the turn. Not so much that you don't raise, but enough that you may not want to cap, especially if you don't have much of a read. You're probably not facing another two pair (the cards are too separated and no ace), which leaves you to think the 3-bet means you might be beat.

I don't like betting at a player who 3-bets the turn and checks unless I'm quite certain I'm ahead. This one is close, but I would err towards checking in this case. Why? He has been agressive on every other street. Why would he slow down now? It's not as if a 4th heart or a legitimate straight card fell on the river. It smells like he's trying to be fancy with you.