PDA

View Full Version : Best baseball trade this season

ThaSaltCracka
10-18-2004, 11:29 PM
These are moves before and during the season.

daryn
10-18-2004, 11:40 PM
obv. beltran

ThaSaltCracka
10-18-2004, 11:41 PM
thats what I picked, but I think the Nomar move was also big.

GuyOnTilt
10-18-2004, 11:53 PM
Since the poll was titled, "Which move has helped their respective team more," the answer is without a doubt, Beltran. That doesn't necessarily make it the best trade made this season though.

GoT

kyro
10-18-2004, 11:53 PM
i'm biased obviously. but i don't think the red sox make the playoffs without the nomar trade. he was bringing them down.

although probably same with beltran/houston. i didn't pay any attention to that.

nolanfan34
10-19-2004, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Since the poll was titled, "Which move has helped their respective team more," the answer is without a doubt, Beltran. That doesn't necessarily make it the best trade made this season though.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

It's actually the best trade too I think, since Houston gave up very little to get him, and KC ended up with mediocre prospects.

GuyOnTilt
10-19-2004, 12:20 AM
It's actually the best trade too I think, since Houston gave up very little to get him, and KC ended up with mediocre prospects.

Even considering they traded for only 100'ish games from the guy? In all likelihood, he's not going to be wearing a Houston jersey ever again two weeks from now.

GoT

nolanfan34
10-19-2004, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Even considering they traded for only 100'ish games from the guy? In all likelihood, he's not going to be wearing a Houston jersey ever again two weeks from now.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Answer one question - are you in the playoffs without him? Throwing my fandom aside, the point of playing the games is to win, and Houston is one game from the WS. If it took trading a faltering closer, and a future backup catcher to get Beltran, then it's a good trade. You have to play for this year when you get the chance.

No one thinks about the teams David Cone played for when he was an annual August rent-a-player, but people remember that the Blue Jays won the series in 92 and 93, and the Yanks in 96, etc, etc.

GuyOnTilt
10-19-2004, 12:36 AM
Answer one question - are you in the playoffs without him? Throwing my fandom aside, the point of playing the games is to win, and Houston is one game from the WS. If it took trading a faltering closer, and a future backup catcher to get Beltran, then it's a good trade.

Hey, like I said, he's the best acquisition hands down if you're only considering his effect on his team this season. But I'm saying as far as worth to your franchise long-term, he may not be. If the 'Stros win the World Series like I think they're going to, he very well may be the best trade. If not, Boston may have made the best long-term decision. We'll see.

GoT

nolanfan34
10-19-2004, 12:41 AM
I get what you're saying, but they didn't really give up anyone who was in their long term plans. I think they knew how many miles Dotel's arm had on it, and Buck may or may not even become a full-time big league player.

The Red Sox did get rid of Nomar, but the chance of them resigning Cabrera is probably 50/50, and they didn't pick up anyone else really who is going to have a huge impact next year. They got a pitcher from the Cubs if I recall, but he's going to be in the minors for a bit.

And if what I've read is correct, Beltran wants to resign in Houston, although we'll see what Scott Boras says about that.

Michael Davis
10-19-2004, 12:44 AM
Long term, definitely getting ARod.

-Michael

banditbdl
10-19-2004, 12:48 AM
Over the long haul the ARod trade has to be the best move in my mind, simply because Beltran may very well end up being a rented player and the other players aren't in the same league talent-wise as ARod.

ThaSaltCracka
10-19-2004, 01:14 AM
I agree, but if the Astro's win the WS, the Beltran deal is the best in the long term anyways.

Lazymeatball
10-19-2004, 08:51 AM
You neglected to include Schilling to Boston. Anytime Pedro is your No 2 starter, you're looking good.

B00T
10-19-2004, 10:08 AM
Schilling wasnt traded he was a free agent, hence him not being in the TRADED poll. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Lazymeatball
10-19-2004, 10:58 AM
thanks for the correction, so how would this topic change if it was changed to best aquisition this year. Would there be any more obvious candidates?

ThaSaltCracka
10-19-2004, 10:58 AM
Jesus,
Overwhelming Beltran.

Lets go people, give me some guesses on the contract he will get from whomever.

7 year? 10 year?
15 mill a year? 18 mill?

nolanfan34
10-19-2004, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Schilling wasnt traded he was a free agent, hence him not being in the TRADED poll. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's incorrect, he was traded from Arizona. They shipped Casey Fossum to Arizona, among some other spare parts. Schilling should have been in the poll.

He did sign a new contract extension after being traded, maybe that's why you remembered the move as a free agency one.

ThaSaltCracka
10-19-2004, 11:11 AM
Schilling for Fossum is more of a salary dump than anything, but you are right, should have been included. I still think Beltran wins hands down though, and I still think the Nomar move was more valuable to them as well.

David
10-19-2004, 11:25 AM
Astros management is going to be under tremendous pressure to sign Beltran. Beltran has said he would like to return to the Astros. They sign him. It costs them a fortune. They will also resign Clemens. A healthy Pettite, Clemens, Beltran, Berkman, Miller, Oswalt, Everett, and Bagwell and they are positioned for another deep run into the playoffs next year. Kent and Vizcaino are gone. Biggio will re-sign, but have a much diminished role as Lane will see more time next year.

They have done an outstanding job this year down the stretch, but with the above players healthy next year it will be expected. Just my 2 cents.

cjromero
10-19-2004, 12:24 PM
I voted for the Beltran deal of the choices available. The Astros clearly don't make the playoffs without him. While I think the Nomar deal helped the Red Sox, it's harder to prove that the addition of Cabrera's defense and the subtraction of Nomar's attitude was the key for the Sox winning the wildcard.

As I think I have mentioned before on these boards, the inside scoop is that Beltran does want to sign with the Astros, and he threatened to fire Scott Boras in August for trying to cajole him into taking the max dollar offer in the offseason, whether that comes from the Yankees, Cubs, or Angels. Boras met with Beltran on one of the Astros' road trips and smoothed things over, but Beltran has reportedly told Boras that the Astros are his top choice and he is willing to take somewhat less to sign here. My guess is that a 6 year, $90 million deal may get it done. At the end of that deal, Beltran should still be in the back end of his prime and will command yet another megadeal.

I have worked out all of the salary numbers for the Astros for 2005, and the team has enough room to pay Beltran $15 million per year and stay within their current payroll structure. Kent's $8 million a year comes off the books. So does Hidalgo's $12 million a year. My calculations factor in big raises for Oswalt and Berkman (both of whom are arbitration eligible), plus assume that Biggio's $3 million option gets picked up and that Clemens re-signs for the same $5 million salary he played for this year.

cjromero
10-19-2004, 12:27 PM
How about the Astros getting Brandon Backe from the Devil Rays for Geoff Blum? While Beltran has been more important to the team, it's hard to argue Backe's impact. He won 3 starts in September in games the Astros had to have, including a start against the Cards the last week of the season and the start against the Rockies to clinch the division on the last day of the season. That doesn't even include Backe's win over the Braves in Game 3 of the NLDS and his incredible performance last night.

ThaSaltCracka
10-19-2004, 12:36 PM
Backe might not even win some of those games without Beltran.