PDA

View Full Version : First fishing expedition at 1/2 (low content)

DeuceHigh80
10-18-2004, 08:48 PM
After a real nice 200BB week at .5/1 I decided to try 1/2 - I know I'm not ready to move up permanently just wanted to test the waters a bit, fully expecting to sacrifice a few $$ on the learning experience.

First thing I noticed right away is the mental shift I had to make to keep thinking about the amounts in terms of big and small bets and to ignore the $$$. I'm sure I made more timid plays early on because the size of the bets in dollars.

But... Otherwise I was seeing a lot of the same loose plays as .5/1 just a little tighter across the whole table. Same way too loose pre-flop play at least for limping, but pre-flop raises did seem to get more respect.

After 45 minutes I was up 12BB and even made my first new "buddy". At least when I'm ready for the full time switch I have an idea what to expect and it won't be quite as intimidating:

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. UTG+2 posts a blind of $1.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 (poster) checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+2 folds.

Flop: (6.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (15.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 23.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has Ah Ad (straight, ace high).
MP3 has Ks Td (two pair, kings and tens).
Outcome: Hero wins 23.25 BB. </font>

I fully expected him to turn over one of the other aces and I almost slowed down on the river just so we didn't pump up the rake any more... I can't imagine what he thought he was ahead of especially that I would've raised pre-flop?

MP3 ==&gt; Buddy List /images/graemlins/smile.gif