PDA

View Full Version : Difference Between PS $25 and Party $25

aLittleFish
10-18-2004, 08:46 PM
I'm well aware there has prolly been a hundred threads about this but I haven't been able to find one that focuses directly on this issue. I can only find bits of info here and there. If anyone knows a link to a thread like this already, that would more than suffice. If not, a little advice would be appreciated.

I've decided to transfer my money from PokerStars to Party Poker for a couple of reasons. First, in an effort to begin bonus whoring and second, it seems everyone here says Party is where the easiest games are. I am concerned about adapting to the higher blind to buy in ratio though. It seems to me that a standard preflop raise and bet on the flop would allow you to be all in by the turn. i.e. I raise to 6 BB preflop ($3.00), then bet about $7.00 on the flop. That leaves me with $15 to play with it. The pot on the turn would be much greater than this. Should I be more willing to get all in with weaker hands like TPTK or overpairs than normal? Also, where do I look for a signal that one of those hands is beat? Having not tried any of these games yet it seems like it would be difficult to determine when you're beat or not. Is limping or min-raising and then playing the hand as if it were PS $25 a viable approach? I don't like that idea very much, but I'm open to any input from more experienced players than myself (excludes very few people /images/graemlins/wink.gif )

jjb108
10-18-2004, 10:58 PM
Yep...see here.

Site discussion (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1141223&page=2&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=2#Post1145745)

This reply in particular

Fimbulwinter Reply - Very Nice (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1143012&page=2&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1)

slaman
10-19-2004, 12:08 PM
I've played $50 NL on Party and Prima. I must say that I found that most people on Prima bet based on the strength of their hands more than Party. I found it easier because people on Prima played the way they were supposed to.

I'm currently playing on Party/Empire and have considered moving up to the $100NL level.

I fully understand theory and recognize strength of hands, but I'm not sure that recognizing betting as an indicator is as applicable at these levels because I've seen some pretty random moves by people (people calling 5XBB with a 97offsuit for example)

I recognize my weakness is that I call strong hands that I know are beat, when I should be folding. Again, this is weird, because 25% of the time I call when I know I'm beat, I actually take down a massive pot. It makes it worth it sometimes at this level.

Any things that you all can suggest that I need to focus on or consider when moving up limits?