PDA

View Full Version : How bad was my play?

07-07-2002, 10:56 AM
0.25/0.50 NLHE Paradise.

I have JJ UTG+1.

UTG limps, I raise to 2, reraise to 3.5, call, utg folds and I call.

Flop T8x 2 spades, POT=12

I bet 10, call, call.

I dont like it

turn rag offsuit POT=42

I check, check, bet 45, I fold, the other guy reraise all in and get called.

They split the pot both showing AT.

Comments?

07-07-2002, 01:18 PM
> I bet 10, call, call.

You flopped an overpair on a highly coordinated board, so why do you underbet here? Make it at least $12 (the pot) or better yet $15 and protect your hand.

> I dont like it

You have no reason whatsoever to assume that your overpair isn't good (esp. given your underbet), as a better hand would certainly have raised (even a set of tens couldn't afford to slowplay on a flop like this).

> turn rag offsuit [...] I check

You've got the best turn you could hope for, so why would you check here? Bet the pot and if you have anything less than $80, move in.

> They split the pot both showing AT

While their flop play has been pretty poor (esp. the overcall), their turn play was pretty straightforward: You bet the flop and check now, so they will put you on a failed steal-attempt with overcards (most likely AK). Since the button overcalled on the flop, MP will put him on some kind of draw and has every reason to believe that his top-pair is good.

The button, OTOH, saw that MP didn't raise on the flop so he has no reason to put him on twopair or better. Also, MP is in a good position to semi-bluff after you have shown weakness, and finally, MP is all-in, so the button cannot be trapped for additional money in case he misread him. This factors together are more than enough to warrant a call.

cu

Ignatius

07-08-2002, 05:31 AM
As important you don't tell us your stazck size.

That can often massively effect things.

I'd move in on that turn if I didn't have too many chips left.

With lots left I'd bet around the pot and often fold to a raise (60%).

07-08-2002, 08:36 AM
Thx for your always good comments Ignatius.

The reason I didnt like the situation was the preflop reraise AND a call. It smells of somebody having at least a medium pair. AK, AQ a possibility too, but after both call my flopbet, I'm afraid that someone is slowplaying a set.

I simply couldnt imagine someone reraise and call with AT. I imagined a QQ or a set. Maybe I should have reraised again preflop to see how serious the raiser was and to give impression of AA or KK? After all it was a small raise he made, probably to see if I was serious which they ofcause conclude im not.

Maybe I was under influence of a slowplay from the other table that happend a minute before...

I have AK, overbet preflop - one caller. Flop comes KK6 and I bet pot and get called. Turn rag. Bet pot, call. River rag - Go all-in and get called by 66. sigh.... - felt like I should have known, had this feeling that something was wrong, but i couldnt see how i could release the hand. No way back.

And then i sit there with my JJ and feel the pokergod is after me... slowplayers again /images/smile.gif Funny how theese situations influence on each other. Never show weakness in NL and here I show strength and get punished and weakness next hand and get punished again.