PDA

View Full Version : Any way to protect these back to back aces?

Freakin
10-18-2004, 06:45 PM
Pocket aces two hands in a row on one table. Any way I could have protected these hands? What would some of you have done?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

River: (10.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

I wasn't sure what to make of MP2's raise with possible trips but not with possible top pair. I wasn't convinced that he actually had the K.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: (11 SB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds.

Turn: (7 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls.

River: (10 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB

Does anyone bet that river? Any way to make drawing hands pay on the flop? It seems like there would be little way to make a flush draw pay too much because of the size of the pot, but what about a gutshot?

What do you think happened at the end of these hands?

Freakin

GrunchCan
10-18-2004, 06:52 PM
Hand 1: perfect. You probably lost to a set. That's poker.

Hand 2: Depending on my read of the opponent, I lean towards re-raising. With no reads at all, I'd say it's 50/50 that he has AJ or similar versus the flush. If he has the flush, he played like a passive moron.

cab4656
10-18-2004, 06:53 PM
Hand 1 looks fine. I wouldn't worry about it if it turned out he didn't have a king. You won the same amount as if he had just called all the way. Looks like he took a shot at a bluff when the scare card came - they do this all the time.

On hand 2, you shouldn't worry about protecting your hand. Bet and raise all you can on this flop. Besides having a pair of aces already, YOU are the one with the flush draw. Very often you will end up with the nuts here. You simply got unlucky that the river brought four to a straight and no club. You played it fine.