PDA

View Full Version : Play Money / Live Money Party 10/1 NL SnG

bigchips
10-18-2004, 05:48 PM
I realize that the wild All-ins found in play money SnG 10/1 NL tournaments are likely not representative of the type of play in the equivalent live money tournaments, but I'm wondering if I can consistently place in the money 50%+ on play money if I have a chance to make some money when I switch to live money? Am I learning the wrong lessons from play money or is there some benefit? There seem to be some fairly good players once you get down to 3 or 4 players though there are many reckless all-in players in the early stages.

I have read the strategy paper in the FAQ and my strategy is to play tighter than is listed early on, then a bit looser as the table thins to 5-6 players and more aggressively.

zephyr
10-18-2004, 06:11 PM
I actually played my first few play money tournaments last night. I've logged well over a thousand SNG's in the $10-$50 range.

Here are some of the BIG differences I noticed.

1) The all-in frenzy that occurs in play money games does not occur in real money ones.

2) Players in the play money games will call huge overbets and typically pay no regard to the size of the pot.

3) Players actually fold hands in live tourneys.

4) There are very, very few "good" players in the play money games.

Aleo's Guide is a good place to start learning. In fact it was how I first learned to play aswell. With time, practice, patience and the posting of many hands on 2+2 and other such forums, you will be on your way to becoming a winning SNG player.

Best of Luck,

Zephyr