PDA

View Full Version : Online PL, free play; big flop

07-06-2002, 12:34 PM
Online PL, $.25/.50 blinds. Four limpers and SB complete to me in BB with Td6d, I check.

I have got about $23 on the table.

Flop: 8d-7d-4h, giving me a gutshot straight flush draw, but also a straight draw on the low side to a 5, in other words, 15 outs to a made hand, with an additional 3 overcard outs. SB checks.

What's my play? As mostly a limit player, I may be off here, but my main concerns are:

1) Getting rid of the gutshot/two overs JT straight draws.

2) Preferably forcing out bigger flush draws, even though the nut flush draw will be tough to get rid of at these stakes.

3) Possibly cleaning out my outs for a Ten.

4) Taking down the pot on the flop with T high can never be disasterous, but it feels a bit "unambitious" to just go for the 3 dollars with such a flop. Perhaps check/raise the flop and try to take it down.

5) I want to get all my money in against certain hands. Three-way, I'd love it unless up against a set or a bigger flush draw. Heads-up, I wouldn't mind going in against a stiff Nine (A9, K9), with my 18 cards outs on two cards to come.

07-06-2002, 02:16 PM
While at first glance, this may look like an excellent flop for you, you have no reason to get excited as you're out of position, none of your outs are to the nuts, your str8 cards will often be tied and when your 15-outer gets there at all, chances are that you will only get action when you are beat.

> it feels a bit "unambitious" to just go for the 3 dollars with such a flop.

Taking it down with a single bet would be an excellent result and you should be perfectly happy with that. Unfortunately, againt 5 opponents, this will rarely work and you are not strong enough to stand a raise as calling would commit you to the pot in a situation where you're either a 2:1 dog or barely break-even.

I would check here and see what develops. If there's one bet and no callers when it get's back to me, I'd raise and hope to win it right there; otherwise, it's probably better to fold and avoid getting into trouble.

cu

Ignatius

07-06-2002, 11:41 PM
It might be that I'm more of a no-limit than a pot-limit player, but my instinct here is to get all the dough into the middle a.s.a.p. This is harder to do in PL, as it's harder to get out the other draws, and easier to get trapped on the turn. Your biggest risk in a pot-sized bet isn't that you'll "only" pick up the pot, but that you'll get multiple callers. Given that your draws aren't to the nuts, you don't want to hit with action remaining. The only hand that is favored against you right now is the higher flush draw.

If you think someone will raise you (which you probably shouldn't), you should bet, hope to get raised, and reraise the max.

Otherwise, you should probably go for the checkraise, though both situations have the caveat that multiplayer is the worst situation to be in, and your hand is going to lose a lot of value no matter what hits the turn. If the stacks are big and everyone seems interested in the hand (lets say the next person bets and everyone calls), you might consider passing.

With $23 and $3 in the pot, a checkraise against one player should put in $12, which should be enough, and if the bet comes from early position with multiple callers, you'll be able to get most of it in. Of course, if you're afraid of losing your stack...

ben

07-08-2002, 05:26 AM
Check-raise all in