PDA

View Full Version : How to handle these Queens?

trojanrabbit
10-18-2004, 04:42 PM
$10 + 1 on Party.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (10 handed)

UTG+1 (t900)
UTG+2 (t845)
Hero (t775)
MP2 (t760)
MP3 (t825)
CO (t845)
Button (t785)
SB (t705)
BB (t790)
UTG (t770)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t90</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls t90, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls t60.

Flop: (t285) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, CO folds, BB calls t200.

Turn: (t685) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t685) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets t175</font>, Hero calls t175.

Final Pot: t1035

Should I bet again on the Turn? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

NicholasC
10-21-2004, 01:04 AM
Ok first of all why did you put a bet of 200 in after the flop hits with an ace? Queens are good but surely your only giving money away here unless you have a read on your opponents? Ok so you r showing strength i grant you but most players will call with ace anything at 10+1 games in my experience(I play Pacific Poker). I have to say he probably put you on a steal when he calls your 200, or he has an ace but checking the turn seems to suggest weakness on his part so I would bet again to show strength. I cant think of any reason for checking on the turn for him if he has an ace as it only gives you a free card to hit your hand. If he has two pair he may check to suck you in but again it has its risks if you are on AK or AQ and would make little sense. Pocket 5s or 7s are really the only hand that make some sense and when the ace hits it gives him a full house. But then some players do not make sense when playing.

incidently I am a newbie here but have played for about 6months average 20hrs week. Maybe i play too tight but i would check on the flop and c what happens, big raise - fold. Small raise would depend on opponent.
Hope this is of some use.

Nick.

DownLow
10-22-2004, 01:15 PM
I would put the villan on a weak ace here after he checks on the turn. I have seen weak aces played this way many times. Many players at this level will come in with any ace which at this point has you beat. OTOH, I could see him making this same play with a flush draw which would make your turn check incorrect since you are giving him a free card. If I were in this I would probably shut down on the turn just like you did since you are now under T500 with a pot of T595. If I was to bet I would probably push because any further bet is going to pot-commit me. I think I call the river bet just like you do. It is either a value bet from a weak ace or a post-oak bluff from a missed flush. Either way it is only T175 for a chance at T770. I think there is at least a 20% chance your hand is good so I think the showdown call was the right move. Anyone else care to comment on the turn check?