PDA

View Full Version : Interesting $109 Situation

Chief911
10-18-2004, 02:34 PM
Ok, so I'm back to SNG's, and have worked up to the 100/200's on Party. It also seems alot of fish have followed me up, but that's a whole different story.

Here's the hand (Sorry, no hand history):

I'm on the button with AKo. Stacks are as follows:

UTG (1800)
MP (800)
SB (1000)
BB (2400)
Me (4000)

I post the 400 BB and am dealt AKo. UTG pushes. He is pretty tight, but he slow played the one time he had KK. So I think he has a mid/low PP. Everyone else folds, leaving me to pay the extra 1600 for AK, but would only leave me with 2k and would knock me down to everyone else.

With this in mind, whats your play here? Obviously the odds are there for a call assuming he does not have KK or AA (Which we will rule out in this case).

Whats your move?

*edited mistakes out

Bigwig
10-18-2004, 02:40 PM
I call. Except I don't consider that 'gambling.'

Jason Strasser
10-18-2004, 04:33 PM
Chief,

This is rediculously easy and not even close.

First of all, you don't KNOW your opponent has a pair. You have an educated guess, but its not 100% certain.

How many times does he need to have AQ, AJ, KQ, or other hands like that for your call to be money? Sure, most of the time it may be a race, but you don't need to have him thoroughly dominated too many times to make this call.

Plus... This is not even for all your chips.

Seems incredibly easy and I would love to see someone convince me to fold here.

-Jason

P.S. This post could've been worded harsher if you know what I mean. As in, I don't think this is entirely interesting.

betgo
10-18-2004, 04:37 PM
You are betting 1400 to win 2400. I call with A8, KT, 22, 97s or better, and maybe with weaker hands.

The Yugoslavian
10-18-2004, 04:49 PM
If you're ruling out AA and KK it seems like this is an auto-call (and it's not even close, /images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

Even with AA and KK in the mix I can't imagine any player UTG who is tight enough for me to lay down AKo in this situation. I have to be pretty darn sure he won't play anything besides JJ-AA (so that I *know* I'm a big dog 50% of the time).

Think about it, as betgo pointed out you're putting in 1400 to get 2400 so even if you only put him on 22-QQ then the play is *very* +CEV. I don't know *exactly* which hands I'd call the push with but it would surely contain AKo.

I'd plug some numbers into the ICM to see what the $EV difference is here given a 22-QQ range of hands for your opponents but it just doesn't seem worth the time it would take to do that. You gotta call this push.