PDA

View Full Version : Limit vs. No-Limit--Which do you prefer and why?

O Doyle Rules
10-18-2004, 02:00 PM
Looking for those players that have played both alot but then settled in on one game versus the other. I am curious as to your reasons you specifically chose one game over the other. (Financial, emotional, stress level, etc.) Do you feel that one game holds a certain advantage for you over the other one?

Thanks to all who respond. (Posted a similar type thread in the Nl/PL section)

Luv2DriveTT
10-18-2004, 02:20 PM
I'll cut to the chase. If you are reletivly new, stick with limit games. People who start out with NL often miss the important basic details of the game, such as learning about pot odds.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

turnipmonster
10-18-2004, 02:33 PM
I enjoy playing NL and PL live much more than any other game. I enjoy playing mostly limit on the net though, mainly because I find net NL to be really boring, especially with the 50-100BB max buyin. I really don't like most max buyin games, although sometimes I play in ones with a 250BB max.

I enjoy playing PL/NL because it I enjoy analyzing the situations it puts me in. it's fun, like solving a puzzle.

to me, it's like asking why someone prefers particle physics or molecular biology.

--turnipmonster

laja
10-18-2004, 07:11 PM
Limit dominates no limit for making money. It does not require as much attention as you exploit the players primarily with your flawless fundamentals and less by adapting to their exact playing style. On the other hand, No limit is much more fun, so you should decide which reason you are playing poker: recreation or money, I chose limit ;]

Brain
10-18-2004, 10:04 PM
Come on, we don't need two threads of this taking up space in the same forum.

Dov
10-18-2004, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Limit dominates no limit for making money. It does not require as much attention as you exploit the players primarily with your flawless fundamentals and less by adapting to their exact playing style. On the other hand, No limit is much more fun, so you should decide which reason you are playing poker: recreation or money, I chose limit ;]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just flat out wrong. Actually, the reverse is true. Skilled NL players make MUCH more than their limit counterparts.

Evan
10-18-2004, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Skilled NL players make MUCH more than their limit counterparts

[/ QUOTE ]

Skilled 20/40 players also make much more than skilled 2/4 players. Make sure you're not comparing apples and oranges here. 5/10 NL is not the counterpart to 5/10 limit.

miajag81
10-18-2004, 11:02 PM
I started off playing limit but moved to exclusively no-limit holdem and PL Omaha after about a year, mainly because I know NL/PL games give a bigger advantage to the skilled player. I find limit holdem extremely monotonous now. It just seems like there is much more thinking involved in NL, and it's much more fun. So I guess you could say I made my choice for both financial and emotional reasons.