PDA

View Full Version : Who wins with flush?

kendall
10-18-2004, 01:45 PM
I'm in a game of all beginners. I can't remember the exact cards but it goes something like this. Two players make a heart flush and the high flush card is on the board. My input was that the high flush card was on the board and the pot should be split. Everyone else said that the player with the highest flush card delt to them is wins the pot. My position was that each player plays the best five cards and if the high card is on the board it stops there and you don't look to see who has the second highest card. Who wins and why?

bwana devil
10-18-2004, 01:56 PM
Whomever has the higher flush card in his hand. If there are five flush cards on the board and neither player has a flush card higher than the lowest on the board then it's split.

AK987/images/graemlins/heart.gif
is higher than
A9872/images/graemlins/heart.gif

You look at the highest card and then work your way down until somone has a higher card.

kendall
10-18-2004, 02:27 PM
Thanks,

Time to eat crow? I never really cared for the taste.

bwana devil
10-18-2004, 03:49 PM
Glad you could discern what I was even talking about. That was the most poorly worded explanation you may find on this board. Yuck.

Don't feel too bad though about being wrong. The first time I played holdem w/ friends I insisted that suits (nonflush issue) determined value of hand.

Big Country
10-18-2004, 06:19 PM
From a previous thread on this topic:

http://www.pokertips.org/rules/poker-hands.php

This should help, if for no other reasonthan to give you another source for reference on the matter.

"A Flush consists of 5 cards of the same suit. The flush with the higher top card wins. If two flushes have the same top card, then the flush with the higher 2nd-top card wins."

SheridanCat
10-19-2004, 10:59 AM
To be clear, each player is entitled to play the best 5-card hand they can of the 7 cards available to then in a hold'em hand.

It's possible that both players are playing the flush that's on the board and using no cards in their hands to make the best flush. In that case, the pot is split. However, if any card in the players' hands is used to make the best flush, then the player with the higher flush card wins.

Board: A/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

---------------------------
Example 1
Player 1: 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif
Player 2: 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Result: Split pot

Example 2
Player 1: 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif
Player 2: 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Result: Player 1 wins with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Example 3
Player 1: 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif
Player 2: T/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Result: Player 2 wins with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Example 4
Player 1: K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif
Player 2: Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Result: Player 1 wins even though he's only using K/images/graemlins/heart.gif to make the best hand and Player 2 is using both his cards. It's all about the highest card in the flush suit.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

T

ILL34GL3
10-19-2004, 07:50 PM
Not trying to be mean but holy crap man, invest in a beginner's poker book if your putting money on the table.

pastabatman
10-20-2004, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not trying to be mean but holy crap man, invest in a beginner's poker book if your putting money on the table.

[/ QUOTE ] Cut the guy some slack - this is the 'beginners forum' after all.

kendall
10-20-2004, 02:05 PM
Thanks for everones support!

Ill34gl3 I guess I should have read that chapter in WLLH and in my current reading material ITH. Was sad to see that that you read Ken Warrens book also. Maybe we both should have ask the good people here about the book before investing our time. Thanks for my new tag line. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

FatMan
10-22-2004, 10:41 AM
Don't feel bad. I was playing in a 3/6 game and the board was five clubs with 5c low. Four people stayed in to the river (I folded preflop). Everyone flips their cards over and calls 4-way split. One guy with a 7c starts arguing that it's his pot. I agreed with him and he did get the pot. That's why you never muck your cards until you determine you have been beat or are raking in the pot.

RydenStoompala
10-22-2004, 02:27 PM
Who wins? The guy with the gun.