PDA

View Full Version : What to invest in? Poker Tracker, some books?

ChessMan
10-18-2004, 01:19 PM
Hi,

I've been playing since July 2004. I've turned a profit of over $1200 (I estimate $1400) not including bonuses. Perhaps I'm a profitable player and should invest in a good book and perhaps poker tracker too.

Since I've been recording my results, I show that I've played over 500 no-limit tournaments (20 seat sit and goes) for a profit of $950, and I've played 1500 hands at limit cash tables for profit of $264. The tournament records are almost complete, but the cash table records are missing another 500 hands or so that were certainly profitable but I didn't record the results.

I started out playing the tournaments, but recently I've played mostly the limit cash tables. I find that you have time to get a read on some of the players; unlike a tourmament where you might get knocked out before you realize "CrazyManiac" likes to seriously overbet his hand.

So I think I'd like to learn to improve at low-limit hold em. My bankroll is large enough to play $1/$2 to $2/$4.

I know poker tracker is good and that is on my "to buy" list.

A few suggestions for good books would be appreciated. Please include a sentence about why this or that book is good so I can make an informed decision. I want to buy only one for now (I am a believer in reading a book before buying the next one). Thanks a bunch!

wacki
10-18-2004, 03:59 PM
Buy Ed Millers book. The title of the book should be more than enough explanation. The only other book worth looking at right now is:

Winning Low-Limit Hold'em (2nd Edition)
by Lee Jones

Both are good, they are different styles, but both are good.

ChessMan
10-18-2004, 08:45 PM
I found Edward Miller's Small Stakes Holdem: Winning Big with Expert Play. Is this the one you mean? Also, I save on shipping if I order two books. I guess I can buy two for this special reason.

Does it make sense to buy Ed's book and Lee Jones'? Or is there another book I should buy if I buy one of these?

Evan
10-18-2004, 09:24 PM
Theory of Poker by Sklansky

Mike Gallo
10-18-2004, 11:13 PM
Theory of Poker by Sklansky

Way too advanced for this poster.

He should start off with Ed's book.

Francis
10-19-2004, 12:02 AM
Hi Chessman,

SSH is an excellent book for learning low limit holdem. If you are going to read 1 book at a time, and you can digest SSH and understand it, I don't see much use for WLLH.

This isn't a knock on WLLH, as that was my first book, and it give me a great foundation that I still rely on to this day. But it's geared towards stopping the bleeding (fewer starting hands, and knowing when to fold to marginal flops) resulting in a tight weak game (which is just fine for a beginner, which I consider myself).

SSH is much more complicated, and is requires good overall knowledge and ability to modify the game based on the conditions. It tends to shape your game towards what is known as tight aggressive (maybe even not so tight?!? I'm not skilled enough to judge)

A nice step between the two books is Hilgers Internet Texas Hold'em, which I'm digesting now and enjoying a ton. Once I've gotten through this, and played another 5K hands, I'll start on SSH (at least that's my plan).

Best of luck in your choices,

Regards,
Francis

btw - get pokertracker, that's a no brainer.

helpmeout
10-19-2004, 02:34 AM
start with WLLHE and ITH

then move onto SSHE and MLH

then TOP and HEPFAP

stick with 50c/$1 while you are learning, unless you want more expensive lessons.

jgunnip
10-19-2004, 12:35 PM
What book is ITH?

ChessMan
10-19-2004, 06:49 PM
Thankyou for your suggestions.

checkmate36
10-19-2004, 08:37 PM
Id say read Internet Texas Hold'em by Matthew Hilger. This book will get you on the right path quickly.

Evan
10-20-2004, 05:35 AM
Eh, you put SSH in the wrong hands and you're only feeding a chip spewing fire. Theory of Poker may be too advanced for him (hell it may be too advacned for me) but I think he needs more experience before he tackles SSH. I also think that some of the ideas in SSH are more useful (and safer) if you understand TOP first.

I guess I should've added that WLLH is a good first book and you should get some experience with that before moving to anything else. WLLH won't teach you to be an expert, but it will get you on the weak-tight path which you need to do before you become properly TAG in my opinion.

stripsqueez
10-20-2004, 08:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
start with WLLHE and ITH

then move onto SSHE and MLH

then TOP and HEPFAP

[/ QUOTE ]

i was hoping this was a joke

i dont think theory of poker is too advanced - the theory of poker as described by the book isnt a tough concept to understand and the book explains it pretty well

since i have read it (which was a while ago) i sometimes realise as i play that i missed the full meaning of some of the book - i suppose in that sense its "advanced" - i would get theory of poker but i havent read all those that have been suggested (and some yhi with ctp)

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

ChessMan
10-20-2004, 11:24 AM
Well,

I made my decision. I purchased SSH and ITH. I suspect WLLHE risks being too simplistic for me, while TOP and HEPFAP might be too advanced for my first or second read on the subject.

I'm not interested in adopting a weak-tight strategy. I've built up a bankroll of over $1200 from an intial $5 in freeroll money by striving to play tight aggressive, so to read advice that would steer me away from that would make me uncomfortable.

I'll read these two books, and continue to play $0.5/$1 to $2/$4 tables. Of course, if I sense that perhaps I'd been lucky all this time and my bankroll starts to decline, I'll take a vacation from poker and move down in limits!

Thank you again for your suggestions, they helped me very much in making my choices.