PDA

View Full Version : This is why you don't complete with K8o with no reads, right?

spamuell
10-18-2004, 01:13 PM
Literally just sat down, so no reads.

Everyone is a couple of positions earlier than the converter makes out. So I am SB, I didn't post UTG. MP is BB. Button is MP.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed)

Hero ($59.05)
MP ($191.2)
Button ($35.65)
SB ($50)
BB ($50.7)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Hero posts a blind of $0.5. MP posts a blind of $1. SB posts a blind of $1.
Button calls $1, SB (poster) checks, BB folds, Hero (poster) calls $0.50, MP (poster) checks.

Flop: ($4) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $2.5</font>, MP folds, Button calls $2.50, SB folds.

Turn: ($9) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, Button calls $6.

River: ($21) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets $7</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $28

Should I have done this differently?

dmk
10-18-2004, 01:27 PM
What would you have done if the river was not an A, lets say a 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif?

cornell2005
10-18-2004, 01:54 PM
not completing with K8 is usually very bad in a 6 max game. just be careful when you get called on the flop. you can bet out or check fold, depending on how tight the guy is

AdamBragar
10-18-2004, 02:18 PM
I'm not sure I'd bet on the flop here. I guess you've got to be trying to take down the hand right there. Almost any caller is probably ahead unless he's got Q10. If he does have Q10, the 2.5 dollar bet is probably still giving him implied odds. A pot sized bet might scare out weak tight players holding a higher kicker and it will discouraging chasing. If you don't bet the flop, you'll still be able to see where you're at if someone else bets it and if no one bets it, odds are pretty good you're ahead.

On the turn, 2 options probably exist, either he's slow playing something good or he's chasing the straight. If he calls the 6 dollar bet, do you gain any more information whether he's chasing or got something big, probably not. If you check here, sure, you give him a free card if he's chasing, but you don't get trapped if he's already got a made hand.

On the river, checking and folding is a good move.

In conclusion, I'd bet bigger on the flop or not bet at all, and check on the turn.

shtolky
10-18-2004, 02:27 PM
Putting him on Q 10 is possible, but since you had no reads it's tough to put him on a certain hand. I think you played it well, seeing as you just sat down. Those top pair, semi weak kickers are always tough hands to play. But the more pressing question is, which is the better game:

Crazy Pineapple
Razz
Chinese Poker

??

spamuell
10-18-2004, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

What would you have done if the river was not an A, lets say a 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would still have checked in the hope that my opponent checked through, but folded to a reasonable sized bet.

What do you think I should do?

dmk
10-18-2004, 04:26 PM
I'd fold also, in both scenarios. I was trying to make the point to some potential readers that it wasn't the A that forced a check on the river.