PDA

View Full Version : 2+2 AudioBooks?? Mason?

DonkeyKong
10-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Just curious for those of us looking for road-trip listening... Does anything exist in audio form??

littledave
10-25-2004, 10:52 AM
Oh yes! I'd love audio 2+2. I have the audio book "Positively Fifth Street" by McManus. What a joy to hear that book in the car! How great it would be to hear the 2+2 books too!

I woudn't have a clue how to duplicate the card examples, though. Just describe them, I guess.

theted
10-25-2004, 01:45 PM
I spend over an hour a day on the road commuting to work. 2+2 audio books would be an awesome way to work on my game during this time.

spamuell
10-25-2004, 02:00 PM
I think this is a pretty good idea.

P.S. Mason, if you are interested in finding someone with a BBC accent to pay inordinate sums of money to and to arrange for a return trip to Vegas for (charged to the company), look no further. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

kevyk
10-26-2004, 09:53 AM
I would definitely buy something like this.

luckydog
10-26-2004, 12:34 PM
Add me to the list of buyers.

Luckydog

jasonHoldEm
10-26-2004, 01:37 PM
This subject comes up on a regular basis and Mason always says no. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

J

Crix
10-26-2004, 03:01 PM
C'mon Mason...don't be that way!

New York Jet
10-30-2004, 11:05 AM
I've created my own 2+2 audiobooks and listen to them on my ipod. I use three items to create the mp3s:
1. C-Pen 800C (http://www.cpen.com/Products/Portable/p3)
2. TextAloud MP3 TextAloud MP3 (http://www.nextup.com/)
3. Neospeech Voices (http://www.nextup.com/neospeech.html)
I basically scan in the text word for word, do a spell check to fix any errors, then manually update the text to correct /images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif symbols to s, d, h, c. I’ve also created a custom dictionary so that hands like AKs will be spoken as Ace King suited and hands such as 8h6d will be read as Eight of Hearts, Six of Diamonds. I am an amateur VB.Net programmer (I wrote a SSH preflop quizzer and Sklansky Tournament System programs, but that is a topic for a different day), so it made creating the dictionary for every possible 2-card combination easier than typing 1326 separate entries.
I know this sounds like quite a bit of work, but I travel often and exercise 4 times per week, so I have a lot of time to listen to them.

My 2+2 audiobook library currently contains:
SSH Notes (created by me)
SSH Starting Hands
SSH Hand Quizzes
SSH Q&A
TPFAP Q&A
Sklansky, The Video (stripped out the video and converted to mp3)

I also have some other misc poker mp3s, mostly by Mike Caro (3-4 hours worth). Finally, I have the chapter summaries for ITH. I have about 25 poker books, so I will be adding to my collection.

New York Jet

P.S. Please don't request copies or samples (Mason would be an exception to this).

Jnana
10-30-2004, 04:04 PM
Get a mic and start reading. HPFAP took me about 10 days. Also get a glass of water.

bonanz
10-30-2004, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Get a mic and start reading. HPFAP took me about 10 days. Also get a glass of water.

[/ QUOTE ]
listening to your own voice repeatedly is creepy

DonkeyKong
10-30-2004, 11:17 PM
Get a mic and start reading. HPFAP took me about 10 days.

How many tapes or hours of tape did it take??

Jnana
10-31-2004, 07:59 PM
3 hours and 23 minutes w/out the Q&A. I used a PC. As for being creepy listening to your own voice, I can't argue with that. I used background music for some sections, but it is a slight distraction. The entire process was very boring but the price was right.

sillyarms
11-01-2004, 10:14 AM
These tapes would be imeditally pirated. There are copies of Howard Lederers video's all over the internet. The same is true of Mike Caro's Tells Tapes.

silly

MicroBob
11-01-2004, 11:10 AM
I would actually be interested in doing this but others seem to indicate Mason/2+2 doesn't really want it done....and I'm obviously not allowed to just go ahead and do it on my own.

Since I used to work in radio for 12 years or so and have literally spent 1,000's of hours speaking into a microphone AND I can successfully translate the poker-hands (whereas a non-poker voice-over artist might make honest mistakes/omissions just due to lack of understanding) I think I would do a decent job.

Maybe I should just record a 10-page sample reading of SSHE or HEFAP and send it to S&M and see what happens.

DonkeyKong
11-01-2004, 11:58 AM
Mason refuses to reply to this thread...

Kimmo
11-04-2004, 08:24 AM
Audiobooks would quickly be as mp3's on the internet. Scanning in a complete book is a lot of work and not so common.

This would hurt book sales.

1p0kerb0y
11-05-2004, 12:29 AM
Definitely interested.