PDA

View Full Version : Too aggressive or too weak?

Bez
10-18-2004, 12:01 PM
Opponent hasn't been at the table long but in the previous hand had lost with JJ vs QQ on a 955xx board, playing very aggressively in the face of his opponent's raising. I put him down as a LAG due to this, but his constant raising made me put him on JJ and into calling mode even when the 3rd 4 hit. No way I was folding anywhere in this hand, but should I have slowed down earlier or keep on betting, especially on the river?

Ultimate Bet 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (14 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 16 BB, between Hero, BB and UTG.</font>

davelin
10-18-2004, 12:03 PM
I think I would've bet out the turn and call-down to a raise.

Fiddler
10-18-2004, 12:17 PM
Why check-raise the turn and make it possible for him to 3-bet? I think I would just bet, call a raise and check-call the river.

Bez
10-18-2004, 12:24 PM
I thought with him being a bit of a LAG, he was probably pushing too hard with a lower overpair, so I could trap for an extra bet with the check-raise. I was expecting him to slow down here, allowing me to collect 1 more bet on the river for a total of 3BBs on turn and river, rather than 2BBs.

Nottom
10-18-2004, 12:33 PM
I think this line is fine, he could easily have QQ or KK here as well and play it the same way so I think your play is fine. Also I would consider smoothcalling his preflop 3-bet so he won't suspect a strong hand on your end and be more likely to put in extra bets later with something like TPMK

meep_42
10-18-2004, 12:48 PM
I'd have bet/called the turn, and hit the gas again on the river (check/raise/call or bet/call). I'm not giving him credit for any 4 where it was capped PF, leaving only JJ/77 that you're behind - and he'd probably play QQ/KK the exact same way.

-d

John White
10-18-2004, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the great description of your pre-hand read on the guy. Until you play more, you can't give credit for JJ. Certainly not a 4. Cap the river.