PDA

View Full Version : Signle table satallite. Does this make ANY sense?

soxfan70
10-18-2004, 11:09 AM
Single table Satellite at Foxwoods, top three win a seat at a larger satellite. Four left, blinds are 75/150, I'm in a distant 4th place with around $1500, when this hand occurred. Critique both players, because neither one made much sense to me. Chip leader in the SB, Second place in the BB, UTG folds, I (on the button) fold 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif. SB raises to 600, BB calls. flp is k /images/graemlins/spade.gif 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. The SB, who has played tightly, but aggressively when he has a hand, bets out 600 of his roughly $4000 stack. The BB beats him into the pot with his call out of his roughly $3500 stack. Turn is 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB bets $1200, and is immediately called. River is 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, SB puts BB all in. BB calls in a flash.
Now, I'm sitting in 4th place, sitting back and absolutely loving this hand. I'll post the results in a bit, but regardless of results, does anyone like this play from either of them? With the top 3 all getting the same prize, WHY would the two chip leaders lock horns? Maybe I'm too tight, but it just boggles my mind to see a hand played like this. If anyone agrees with the play, please enlighten me.

jcm4ccc
10-18-2004, 11:26 AM
hmmm, seems very strange.

Perhaps the SB had what he thought was the nuts (JQ). Perhaps the BB had a very strong drawing hand (Ad Kd) and got sucked into battle. That's my best guess.

soxfan70
10-18-2004, 02:07 PM
First, lets critique the BB hand. After he calls he shows 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif for the flush. I have several issues with this hand:
1) If you're going to call a raise from the SB with this hand, at least have a plan to steal the hand post-flop.
2) Calling the flop bet with second pair, no kicker seems to me to be the worst of three options. I either throw this away now, or push all my chips in and hope to steal it here; I strongly lean towards folding here. If the SB is intent on taking this pot, let him have it before it gets too big, and you're committed.
3) Calling the turn bet with the 4th nut flush draw is deplorable in my opinion, but it never should have gne this far.
4) calling the river bet is a foregone conclusion, and ignorance is rewarded here.

Now for the SB. He shows K /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif for the flopped two pair. Issues with his play:
1) I like the pre-flop raise, and the flop bet, but that's about all i like.
2) Once the flop bet is called, with the structure the way it is, I put on the brakes. Even if I think I have the best hand. My question here is, what's the point?
3) Obviously i disagree with the two following bets for the same reason. Even though he had the best hand the whole way through (till the river), I just don't understand it.

I would welcome any critiques of my critquing. /images/graemlins/confused.gif