PDA

View Full Version : Table Selection

Predator314
10-18-2004, 10:56 AM
I was just wondering how some of you choose your tables online. I've built my bankroll up to just above $2000 and want to move up to $3/6. I want to be a little more selective about the tables I sit at.

I used to add the "fish" to my buddy list and just follow them around. However, none of my "fish" play 3/6. I do have Poker Tracker, but don't have hardly any 3/6 hands in my DB yet.

So, can you tell me how you do your table selection process?

ChicagoTroy
10-18-2004, 11:15 AM
I put some time in this weekend looking at the range of table average VP$IP in PT's live game window. While $2-4 was too loose every time, $3-6 had a lot of tables where the AVERAGE VP$IP was under 20%, and ranged between 18-45%. That is an enormous difference. Yes, it is easy to beat players who play too tight, but it's a lot easier to beat players who play too loose.

Until you get a fish list going (and I personally haven't figured out a way to make that profitable by finding 1 fish at a full table), I would start importing observed hands, and open a live game window for every table. Within an orbit or two, you'll start getting an idea of the average VP$IP of the table. Anything under 28% or so, seek greener pastures.

pudley4
10-18-2004, 03:47 PM
There's so little difference in play between the 2/4 and 3/6 games at Party that if you are a solid winner at 2/4 you should easily be able to move to 3/6.

Just join a table, and play for a couple of rounds. If the table is too tight, move to a new one. Keep moving until you find a good table.

And remember to fold the vast majority of your small blind hands. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

laja
10-18-2004, 06:54 PM
good advice Jeff A., and also try to pick tables with the highest pot averages as they are most likely the loosest = worst players.

Brain
10-18-2004, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And remember to fold the vast majority of your small blind hands. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially at 3/6 with the 1/3 blind structure. Just clarifying, in case it wasn't terribly obvious already. I'm feeling helpful tonight. /images/graemlins/cool.gif