ddubois
10-18-2004, 06:30 AM
That is all.

housenuts
10-18-2004, 06:32 AM
carry on

ddubois
10-18-2004, 04:45 PM
Nearly everytime I play a tournament, always MTTs and often STTs, I end up saying to myself "Gee, that was stupid, why do I waste my time." Like my most recent one (http://ddubois.bounceme.net/poker/pty_10182004_01.txt), I got a third of my stack in as a 2:1, and the rest of my stack in as 4:1, and it's hello 7th place and good bye 30 mins and $50. In ring games you get sucked out on, of course, but it's so much less often because you can control the size of your edge and manipulate with so much more finesse the implied odds your opponents are getting. The blind-induced stupidity that occurs with tournaments can turn a series of +EV plays into a loss, completly outside your control, because no one is consistently impervious to a series of 3:2 edges that you are, again due to the blinds, required to take. In ring games, if I stack off 4 times I am going to win money, almost guaranteed. In a tournament if I stack off 4 times I am going to bust, almost guaranteed. I'm just sick of the punishing structure of them. The long run is too long, especially for MTTs, those are just retarded. I'm sick of this folding equity guessing game. I need to stop watching poker on TV and letting the allure of tournaments temporarily cloud my judgement, and drain my valuable and limited poker time.

RacersEdge
10-18-2004, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if I stack off

[/ QUOTE ]
What does this term mean?

rjb03
10-18-2004, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if I stack off

[/ QUOTE ]
What does this term mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Stack off = go all in

augie00
10-18-2004, 05:16 PM
I believe in TPFAP, Sklansky mentions that the idea of playing a tournament is only EV+ because of the chance to make a big score. In the long run ring games can be more profitable, but the idea of a huge parlay is what makes tournaments good to play, every once in a while. Also, it's nice to have a change of pace. Play ring games for profit, and play tournaments for fun every so often just for something different. And don't get so upset.

mackthefork
10-18-2004, 05:43 PM
Its just possible that no one is good enough to overcome the rake in large field multi table tournaments, however thats a potential reality most players probably don't want to face.

Regards Mack