PDA

View Full Version : I can't settle on a game

Sponger15SB
10-18-2004, 04:20 AM
Does anyone else have this problem where they have been constantly jumping around?

I started off playing limit, then I went to SNGs, then I went to NL cash games at 6-max, then I went to full ring, then I thought about going back to limit for little bit, now i'm back playing NL 6-max.

Does anyone do this at all?

It is really frustrating.

Blarg
10-18-2004, 04:27 AM
Sounds like you're trying to find a game that makes you happy. That might not be all that bad an idea.

If you're doing it to escape losses, it might be better to just figure out what you're doing wrong in one game before venturing into others.

edge
10-18-2004, 04:49 AM
I started at NL full, then moved to NL SNGs, then NL 6-max, and now limit 6-max. I'm quite content with limit 6-max, although I may try full ring soon (my last few trips to full ring haven't been so good).

I guess just stick with the one you liked the most, or if you don't care, just play the one that makes the most?

If not, maybe you should try stud and see if you like it.

Blarg
10-18-2004, 07:11 AM
Stud's a great game, but trying to multi-table it would be the pits.

I've always thought Omaha looked very interesting.

Lot to be said for that playing what you like thing. We almost always do better at the things we enjoy most.

umdpoker
10-18-2004, 07:47 AM
oh yeah. i started off with sng's. then i read here that ring games have more profit potential. so i played limit ring for a little while. then i read a post about how 10bb/100h is possible in nl. so i played that for a little while. nl got boring, so i came back to limit. i am gonna try my best to stick to limit games for a while. however, i may take a break from limit ring games every once in a while, and play some nl or sng's, just to kill the boredom. having a focused mind is crucial to being successful in poker. so if you get bored, i see no problem with trying something else for a day or 2 to refill your love for your regular game, whatever that my be.

chesspain
10-18-2004, 07:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else have this problem where they have been constantly jumping around?

I started off playing limit, then I went to SNGs, then I went to NL cash games at 6-max, then I went to full ring, then I thought about going back to limit for little bit, now i'm back playing NL 6-max.

Does anyone do this at all?

It is really frustrating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is this frustrating? Having variety in your game should only make you a better player, and lower the odds of you burning out.

Sponger15SB
10-18-2004, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you're trying to find a game that makes you happy. That might not be all that bad an idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. I've been a winner at everything I've tried, I just haven't been able to stick with one thing. Maybe I'm just frustrated because I at least think I've heard to many "I've been playing poker for 5 month and now I 4 table 15/30 and make $150 an hour"

fnord_too
10-18-2004, 01:24 PM
I play multiple games, too. I think I need to start forcing myself to play a set number of hands/week in one game, for stability, but I doubt I will ever settle into one game exclusively. Stud games I think are my most neglected recently, mainly because you have to pay attention to what cards die and it is difficult to do that on more than one table.

lacky
10-18-2004, 01:43 PM
could be simple bordem too. I swich around some myself, but it keeps it fresh and I am able to play well in any juicy game I come accrost, rather than being restricted to only full tables, only limit, etc. I even played omaha h/l long enough to know I can win at it. Unless you think it is holding you back It could just be your cure to prevent burnout, which is very common in poker.

Steve