PDA

View Full Version : 88 after a raise... flopping a set on co-ordinated board

elitegimp
10-18-2004, 03:09 AM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP3 folds, SB folds, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (13 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (19 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 21 BB

Tons o' questions!
1) Anyone fold to this raise? I figured all the other limpers were going to call, so I was assuming there would be 6 to the flop
2) Was slowing down after the turn raise okay? After the flop action, I figured the villian had either the straight, the straight draw, the flush draw, 2 pair, or a pair with a straight draw. After the turn raise, I had a feeling I was drawing to 10 outs, and it seemed like a good time to call down unimproved.
3) This is my second post of the night, both of the same style: a hand history and a list of questions. Does this format bother you?

Jimbobobb
10-18-2004, 05:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1) Anyone fold to this raise? I figured all the other limpers were going to call, so I was assuming there would be 6 to the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't make a habit of folding to a single raise pre-flop after you've already put in your original call. I can think of circumstances that would make it correct, but they all involve me expecting it to be capped behind me.

[ QUOTE ]
2) Was slowing down after the turn raise okay? After the flop action, I figured the villian had either the straight, the straight draw, the flush draw, 2 pair, or a pair with a straight draw. After the turn raise, I had a feeling I was drawing to 10 outs, and it seemed like a good time to call down unimproved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could probably go either way on this one. Any type of read makes this easier. Him being passive makes it calling time, him being aggro makes it raising time, etc. Without a real read, calling seems correct.

[ QUOTE ]
3) This is my second post of the night, both of the same style: a hand history and a list of questions. Does this format bother you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not me.

Nice hand.

Chris Daddy Cool
10-18-2004, 05:13 AM
you didn't quantify what kind of player MP1 is. that'd help.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're talking about preflop. no way should you fold here.

the rest looks good to me.

Peter Harris
10-18-2004, 05:31 AM
no yes no.

Welcome to the forum. Be sure to post your comments on other people's hands too. You learn more that way than by posting yourself (but that's good too).

Nice hand,
Regards,
Pete Harris

Akimka
10-18-2004, 05:39 AM
Is anyone think that he should reraise on turn if he place original turn bet or check-call turn if he fear that he has been beaten (opponent very tight or passive?)?
I think bet-call to a raise is a not good play... What do you think?

Jimbobobb
10-18-2004, 05:47 AM
checking the turn here would be bad, as there are lots of hands that villian would cap the flop with, but then take a free turn card with (flushes, straights, etc). We can't allow that to happen, so we can't check. When Villian raises, it tells us that he probably already has a made hand. We can't truly be certain about how good that hand is, but we have odds to draw against anything, and we might be ahead already. Since we're not certain about our place in the hand since we lack a real read on villian, we just call it down. If Hero had boated up on the river, he would go berserk.

helpmeout
10-18-2004, 06:31 AM
Everything looks good to me, even the questions.

witeknite
10-18-2004, 11:17 AM
I agree with what everyone else is saying. Definitly don't fold to the raise PF. 3-betting the flop is good. On the turn, you werre correct in betting to not give villian a free card. When he raised, you have the odds to call drawing to ten outs. If you had filled up on the turn, it would have been a good place to c/r.

On the river, you only need to be ahead 1:20 times for this call to be correct. Again, if you had made your boat, I think a c/r would be in order.

WiteKnite

LuckyStrike
10-18-2004, 11:46 AM
I play the hand the same as you do. It's almost never correct to fold to one raise after you've already limped preflop, so you made the right call. You made the right choice on the turn to slow down; it looks like he has the straight but you have lots of outs to improve. On the river, you're getting 20 to 1 to call. You'll win more than once in 20 times against overplayed two pairs or even top pair.