PDA

View Full Version : Interesting hand...did I play it correctly?

06-20-2002, 11:49 AM
I understand that I happened to lose to the one outer and I'm not too terribly concerned about that. My question is, was the amount of raising correct (relative to table limits)? Also, was I right to check the turn? I'm a newbie to pot and no limit and would just like to hear from some more of the regular players.

Table "Atafu" (real money) -- Seat 4 is the button

Seat 1: tallstack ($70.50 in chips)

Seat 3: layoff1 ($38.25 in chips)

Seat 4: PokerJake ($58 in chips)

Seat 5: DOUBLE B ($22.25 in chips)

Seat 6: Chekmate ($86 in chips)

Seat 7: CharmCity ($48.50 in chips)

Seat 8: MrSwap ($11 in chips)

Seat 9: 1derful ($29.75 in chips)

Seat 10: pat_c ($65 in chips)

DOUBLE B: Post Small Blind ($0.25)

Chekmate: Post Big Blind ($0.50)

Dealing...

Dealt to CharmCity [ Qc ]

Dealt to CharmCity [ Qs ]

CharmCity: Raise ($3)

MrSwap : Fold

1derful : Fold

pat_c : Fold

tallstack: Fold

layoff1 : Fold

PokerJake: Fold

DOUBLE B: Fold

Chekmate: Call ($2.50)

*** FLOP *** : [ Qd 5c Jd ]

Chekmate: Bet ($10)

CharmCity: Raise ($20)

Chekmate: Call ($10)

*** TURN *** : [ Qd 5c Jd ] [ 5s ]

Chekmate: Check

CharmCity: Check

*** RIVER *** : [ Qd 5c Jd 5s ] [ Td ]

Chekmate: Bet ($15)

CharmCity: Raise All-in ($25.50)

Chekmate: Call ($10.50)

*** SUMMARY ***

Pot: $94.25 | Rake: $3

Board: [ Qd 5c Jd 5s Td ]

tallstack didn't bet (folded)

hopergroper didn't bet

layoff1 didn't bet (folded)

PokerJake didn't bet (folded)

DOUBLE B lost $0.25 (folded)

Chekmate bet $48.50, collected $94.25, net +$45.75 (showed hand) [ 9d 8d ] (a straight flush, eight to queen)

CharmCity lost $48.50 (showed hand) [ Qc Qs ] (a full house, queens full of fives)

06-20-2002, 12:44 PM
I'd have gone all in on that flop.

If he's on a made hand he well well think you are drawing and call, which I may well be another time. Having this hand provides cover for my semi-bluffs.

Also, you don't know what draw he has, so you may get 4th street wrong when an A, K,10,9,8 or D comes.

Once the pairing card comes, what to do comes down to bluffing tendencies, and calling tendencies of your opponent.

Versus a player likely to bluff the end with a busted draw but capable of folding a bet on 4th, check is good.

Against a player who won't bet the end without a hand, but will too readily call now you should bet 4th street.

That's by-the-by. Most important is the flop advice - No limit/medium stack: use the all-in rule.

The river was a bugger; unlucky.

06-20-2002, 01:07 PM
On a flop like this (str8 and flush-draws possible), you have to raise bigger and since you only had about a pot-sized raise left anyway, you should have moved in.

Once you filled up on turn, I think you still should bet out: With both of you halfway in, you might still get a call from hands like AdKd which he could easily muck when he misses the river.

cu

Ignatius