PDA

View Full Version : KQo in middle position??

06-19-2002, 08:17 PM
There are some tables online where 50% of your opponents see the flop on full table.

You are in a game like this, and two or three people have limped to you. You have KQo or AJo. What do you do here and why?

A big raise seems to invite calamity. A call is equally risky, as you need a MONSTER to play with after the flop... and you still might lose. A fold somehow seems like bad poker.

I look forward to your responses!

-Marlow

06-20-2002, 04:08 AM
KQo and AJo both suffer from the classic "win a small pot or lose a big pot" syndrome. I might limp them, hoping to flop very good. Like top two, or trip jacks (in the AJ case) or a str8draw (with KQ). Theese hands do not like implied odds so they do not fare well in NL games.

If you have a short stack you should raise big enough to reduce the implied odds of the limpers. If you have a large stack.. Thats trickier. I usually play them but very very carefully... I don't see anyting wrong in folding them preflop to even modest action.

Sincerely, Andreas

06-20-2002, 07:49 AM
With a big stack:

Just limp and hope two of you hit two pairs.

The KQ is also a straight draw.

With a medium or small stack - use your tournament brain, which is that AJ and KQ suck.

06-20-2002, 06:06 PM
I have had some friends here in NZ ask me recently what they can do to improve their no limit game.

The first question i asked them is do they call raises with AQ. Secondly i asked if they limp in behind others with KQo or QJo. They said yes, i told them to stop doing it, and those that did started winning.

06-20-2002, 06:28 PM
Excellent advice!! Thanks to all y'all!

There's no doubt about it, those hands are poison in that situation. I'll bring it into my game immediately!

Thanks again,

Marlow

06-22-2002, 03:20 AM
do yourself a favor and muck KQo in a NO-LIMIT GAME, this hand could prove to be very very costly...I never play KQo, let alone KQs in no limit...with a full ring game, I never play AQ, the only AQ I play is suited....

DISCIPLINE, DISCIPLINE, DISCIPLINE!!!!

06-23-2002, 11:48 PM
Marlow,

In the right, i.e., passive, type of game, I might consider limping in NL with K-Q or A-J offsuit, but even there, I'd err on the side of caution. I'ts too easy to get trapped- it's happened to me, and I've watched not a few others

buy it with these cards when they get a cheap look

and latch onto something, ultimately to their detriment.

perfidious