PDA

View Full Version : Stars 2/4 bet this river?

NotMitch
10-17-2004, 11:44 PM
Good game, has been on the tightish side, nobody has really gotten out of line. On the river I was torn between betting (and folding to a raise?) and check/calling. Which is better?

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, MP calls, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP calls, Button calls.

Flop: (8 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP calls, Button calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>

River: (10 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero????

THEHANDOFGOD
10-17-2004, 11:55 PM
If those are your only choices, check/call. It costs the same and you can't get moved off of a winner. Also I would factor in that any decent Q would probably have raised PF, and Q10 or Q9 would have probably pop'd the turn.

Nottom
10-18-2004, 01:02 AM
Bet and call a raise.

No one has shown any strength, there is no reason to think anyone has a Q.

The Q is a perfect card for something like a missed flush draw to try and bluff with, so I don't like folding in most cases.

mscott
10-18-2004, 01:09 AM
I'd check/call. Either your beat or your up against 3 busted flush/str8 draws or maybe a middle pair. If you check you might get one of them to bluff at it in which case you gain a bet or if it's bet and raised behind you, you can save a bet by folding.

Scotch78
10-18-2004, 01:15 AM
Check-call. The river is even scarier to everyone else than it is to you, so I doubt worse hands will call your bet often enough to be profitable.

Scott

NotMitch
10-18-2004, 10:36 PM
PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, MP calls, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP calls, Button calls.

Flop: (8 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>

Turn: (6 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>

River: (10 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP checks, Button folds.

Final Pot: 10 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has Ah Ad (two pair, aces and queens).
BB has Td 9c (two pair, queens and nines).
MP has As 9s (two pair, queens and nines).
Outcome: Hero wins 10 BB. </font>

Looks like I missed a few bets. Thanks for the input.

Scotch78
10-19-2004, 12:57 AM
Not necessarily. If the MP was loose enough to call the flop, he very well might call a river bet, but the BB had a strong draw at every point, so we don't know how loose he is. So, you probably missed one big bet, but that's being results oriented. In order for a river bet to be profitable you need to have the best hand when called at least 55% of the time. The way this hand played out, I do not think that would be the case, not even close.

Scott

B Dids
10-19-2004, 02:44 PM
I bet this river 100% of the time. The people telling you to call have not playing 'Stars 2/4 I'd wager.